Cloning Linux from Intel Laptop to AMD Desktop?

If I’m honest… I’m lazy. To the point that I’m asking this and no one should be surprised.

I’m setting linux up on my desktop. I WOULD use void, but every time I think about it its just going to taaake foooooorrrreeeevvvvveeeerrrrrrrrr OH MY GOD IT WILL TAKE ME DAYS YOU REALLY HAVE NO IDEA.

…BUT… Could I just clone the install from my laptop to my desktop and have it… work? Its just an X230T. No drivers installed for anything specific.

Or do I just do manjaro XD

1 Like

Try, what is stopping you?
I’m curious myself XD

1 Like

Well I’m using my laptop right now XD

1 Like

It works flawlessly for me. I have a few older/slower machines that I use from time to time and play musical drives. Many were set up on my newer computer and swapped out because it was faster. The only thing I could see being a problem is if you have nvidia proprietary drivers installed and swap to another machine running a nvidia card that needs different drivers. It may be a pain in the butt to fix and may not work without using ‘nomodeset’ to get it to boot, which could be a problem with either a native install or a swapped drive.

Obviously if you try to swap up to newer hardware then that hardware needs to be supported by the kernel and anything else it needs to work.

I also bought an SSD and rolled my own Ubuntu LXQt 16.04 on my HTPC and later purchased the laptop it would reside in. No problems besides LXQt being 4 years behind what it is today. About to do the same thing again, upgrade to a larger SSD and roll another Ubuntu LXQt to get rid of the absurd nagware updater they added to Lubuntu that wants to uninstall my desktop.

A little late but “Should” mostly work. Would have to edit the fstab, might have to setup a script for the display, might have to edit some network config files if the network interfaces have different names, and a chance you might have to chroot into it to install grub because that’s my lazy way to fix grub.

My X201’s SSD has Debian on it and it just works no matter what x86-64 based computer I plug it into.

2 Likes

i just upgraded my pc from a xeon e5-1650 0 (with a rx 580) to a r5 3600
other than the microcode it was ez
i also use the mesa drivers with my rx580 so i didnt need to do anything
beside take the fan shroud off and clear out all the dust bunnies lol

my / was on a 32gb ssd with my /home on 2 hdds (raid 0)
did a dd from old ssd to new ssd with the same on hdds to new ssds
loaded up gparted and did a grow and all was set
had to mess with my fstab a little but nothing major
install is so old that i had to migrate from dmraid to mdadm

1 Like

My bruddah

PFFFF

Look guys a real linux user holy shit. What do you run if you don’t my asking?

1 Like

i use an unsupported version of arch linux

https://forum.level1techs.com/uploads/default/optimized/4X/c/3/c/c3c3b418718c99ef198c732bfe99bc8f0bf542d7_2_720x405.png

i also play games and do anything a windows user does
Linux is a none evil platform, and so the only games or software that you will have issues with i just that evil in the ideology that humans tell the tools what to do, the tools (pc’s) don’t do whatever they want.
games that do weird stuff in the background just wont run on Linux or has sloppy code. looking at you destiny 2.

i say it’s unsupported but there is basically only 1 person who might help
he is the distro maintainer

1 Like