Clevo NH58AF1 (Barebone Ryzen Desktop Socketed CPU)

Amazon link

Specs click here

Processor supported:

• 3rd Generation AMD Ryzen 9 3900 Desktop Processor, 3.1 GHz, (12 core / 24 thread)
  • 3rd Generation AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Desktop Processor, 3.6 GHz, (8 core / 16 thread)
  • 3rd Generation AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Desktop Processor, 3.6 GHz, (6 core / 12 thread)
    Core Logic: AMD B450 Chipset

Memory:

• Supports Dual Channel DDR4
  • Two 260Pin SODIMM sockets, support for DDR4 up to 3200MHz
  • Expandable up to 64GB, depends on 8GB/16GB/32GB SODIMM module

Display: 15.6” Full HD (1920x1080) 144Hz IPS, 72% NTSC Display, Matte Finished

Graphics Processor: GeForce GTX 2070 GPU with 8GB GDDR6

• Support PCIe x16
  • Real-Time Ray Tracing
  • Battery Boost Technology
  • Microsoft DirectX 12 Compatible
  • Support 4 active displays

Storage:

• One changeable 2.5” 7.0mm(H) HDD/SSD, SATA interface
  • M.2 2280 SSD, SATA / PCIe Gen3x4 interface
  • M.2 2280 SSD PCIe Gen2x4 interface

Audio System:

• High Definition audio interface
  • Built-in Array Microphone
  • 2 Built-in Speakers
  • Sound Blaster Cinema 6

I/O Ports:
1 HDMI output Port (with HDCP)
1 Mini DisplayPort 1.4 output Port
1 DisplayPort 1.4 over USB 3.2 Gen 2 (Type-C)
2 USB 3.2 Gen 2 Ports (Type A)
1 USB 2.0 Port (Type A)
1 2-in-1 Audio Jack (Headphone / Microphone)
1 Microphone Jack
1 RJ-45 LAN (10/100/1000Mbps)

Slots:
Micro SD Push-Push Card Reader
M.2 Card Slots

1. WLAN Combo M.2 2230 Card with PCIe/USB interface
  2. SSD M.2 2280 Card with SATA / PCIe Gen3 x4 interface
  3. SSD M.2 2280 Card with PCIe Gen2x4 interface

Communication:
Built-in Gigabit Ethernet LAN
Intel Dual Band Wireless Wi-Fi 6 AX + Bluetooth, M.2 2230 interface

Power System:
Removable 6 cells Smart Lithium-Ion battery pack 62WH
Full Range AC-in 100~240V, 50~60Hz, 230W AC Adapter, DC output 19.5V, 11.8A

I’m conflicted whether I should spring for this one or not for two reasons:

1. It’s a B450 chipset, and from what I know on Ryzen 3 support, It’s a manufacturer by manufacturer basis. I don’t know if Clevo will do bios update support for this particular series of mobo.

2. It’s a Turing card, and I’m not a big fan of how neutered higher end of the series of cards are in mobile version counterparts, specially the Turing series of cards. This is not even accounting to the fact that AMD has shown it’s RDNA 2 to have better performance over the Turing rasterization and ray tracing wise at a better TDP which makes me wanna wait out on their mobile version.

With that being said, the price is so tempting…so…so…tempting. For those who are in the market for a laptop upgrade though and within their economical reasons should check this out.

1 Like

I would love to see this reviewed by Ideally L1T but really any competent TechTuber either. It sounds too good to be true, there has to be thermal issues or something.

Also with all the hackery from various mad computer janitors I am sure one of them can work out a 5000 series bios update. That really would be the be all end all of laptops for quite a while.

Although the same may be true if enough of these sell they might make a legit 5000 series one and hopefully with the GPU upgrade you want.

ah… the catch…

• BAREBONE LAPTOP: Install your own AMD Ryzen CPU, RAM, SSD, and OS

So the price is good but not really that good once you actually make it useable.

I can’t recommend against clevo more. The support is non-existent. Buy from some supplier who can offer something more than just a 30 day return policy.

The seller (RJ Tech) of this barebone chassis in Amazon offers the standard 1yr. They also sell this directly in their own website with configurable specs. RJ Tech is sort of the AIB for this chassis, and Clevo just supplies them the main parts, this chassis is used by other companies too.

https://rjtech.com/shop/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30767

I’m fully aware of what clevo is and does. I fought with them to fix an issue for 6 months. The reseller I went through took the loss on it. They’re a PITA if something goes wrong.

The seller, RJ Tech, offers a configurable spec of this chassis directly in their website with standard pricing. But, I can probably get a better deal getting the rest of the parts myself through Newegg or Microcenter. Lots of deals in general with Black Friday and Cyber Monday looming around the corner.