Return to Level1Techs.com

Clean, deep, vocals in metal?

folkmetal
metal

Just wondering if you knew of any metal bands/songs that feature deep clean vocals.

Notable examples of what I have in mind include Heidevolk, Metsatoll, and Moonspell. Other example?

Also, doesn't have to male vocals, but I realize deeper female clean vocals may be way less common.

0 Likes

Queensryche and of course the classical trained Pat Benatar

Halestorm's second album she finally learned the difference between singing and screaming

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm looking for a heavier sound, and much deeper vocals. I'm also a listener of symphonic metal, and mezzo sopranos are everywhere - so for a classically trained female vocalist, I'd be looking for someone squarely in the Contralto range.

As for a Halestorm, I'm just not a fan. An example of a deep female vocalist in metal would Mandragora Scream:

The remix version has much clearer clean vocals:

1 Like

Not sure if clean enough, but

1 Like

1 Like

2 Likes

the sword?

0 Likes

Monotone clean vocals are insanely uncommon in Symphonic Metal. however I can only think of a few in that regard with insanely deep clean vocals. just not in the genre of Symphonic Metal. more in the Gothic Metal / Gothic Rock Genre. simply because a lot of bands in this genre were influenced by Sisters of Mercy and they were arguably one of the earliest bands to sing with that deep monotone voice. also a lot of clean symphonic vocals. the majority of them are female.

2 Likes

First 3 ones to come to mind

2 Likes

2 Likes

Not deep enough. But Sabaton is pretty good.

@TeslaMaxwell - Yasss

@MograineLefay - Insomnium crossed my mind, but I'm not terribly familiar with them. The song you posted almost has the opposite of what I'm looking - deep growls, but higher pitched clean sections. I actually saw Insomnium touring with Dark Tranquility. Speaking of which, they're probably a better example of what I'm looking for:

Interesting, but not what I'm looking for.

That's always rubbed me the wrong way.I honestly can't think of any symphonic metal bands that feature a prominent clean male vocalist. Maybe Nightwish? I think it would be awesome there was a symphonic metal band that feature prominent clean male voclas.
Anyway, I'm not quite looking for monotone per say, but more like baritone. :P Gothic metal is amongst my favorite genres, so I do love the suggestions. Thanks for the input!

Tyr is probably the closest to what I'm looking for, but even so, I think the pitch is still a tad high. Korkiklaani
is way more raspy than deep.

1 Like

I have a couple bands in mind for ya... will have to wait until later tonight when I'm not at work though so I can verify it's what you're looking for.

1 Like

I got you covered.

1 Like

Shit I totally forgot.... sorry about that... anyway the band I thought of was:

Marauder:

0 Likes

Indeed. Exactly the type of music I'm looking for. Really digging them.

I think their vocalist has the same fault as Korpiklaani's - just raspy. Not to say I don't like it, but not depth and lowness I'm looking for.

1 Like

WHY DID NO ONE SUGGEST LUMSK!? :open_mouth::heart_eyes:

0 Likes

The 69 Eyes are a definite contender for this category. They have quite music catalog. But these are a few of my favorites.

1 Like