Chuwi Minibook X - Linux display corruption (kernel/driver bug?)

I recently bought a Chuwi Minibook X, a relatively inexpensive little laptop with an Intel N100 CPU.
I’m trying to run Linux on it but there is an intermittent issue where the display is only half visible, with the bottom half being corrupted.

This happens on every distro I’ve tried (Linux Mint 21.3 Regular and Edge, LMDE 6, Ubuntu 22.04, 23.10, Fedora 38, 39, rawhide, Manjaro, and Alpine).

Interestingly, the screen corruption does not happen when I use nomodeset as a kernel option.
Another thing I have noticed is that when I use nomodeset the plymouth boot animation is at the proper resolution, when not using nomodeset, the boot animation is at a lower resolution. Not sure if that means anything.

With nomodeset:

Without:

I have tried a few things that have not worked including:

• Turning it off and on again
  • Putting it to sleep and waking it up again (does actually work sometimes, not reliable)
  • video=DSI-1:1200x1920@50 and video=DSI-1:1920x1200@50 kernel arguments (It is a 1920x1200 50Hz portrait display, possibly from a tablet)
  • i915.fastboot=1 and i915.fastboot=0 kernel arguments.
  • i915.enable_psr=0 intel_idle.max_cstate=2 kernel arguments
  • Custom kernel 6.8-rc5 (Released Feb. 18) based on Fedora kernel config

Works fine in Windows, but I really don’t want to use it with Windows.
No UEFI/BIOS updates have been made available.

I would greatly appreciate some help with this as I’m not sure if it’s a hardware, BIOS, firmware, or driver bug.

After reading this Reddit post it seems if you go into the BIOS for a brief moment on boot and then select save and reboot, that can be a workaround. Otherwise it appears (from a quick read) that this is a fairly well-known and bad glitch. Sorry I cannot offer you more info or a fix itself!

FYI, I tried the latest nightly build of Ubuntu 24.04 and the screen issue seems to be fixed.

1 Like

Thanks, I did try that but had no luck. My device also does not respect any BIOS settings changes either (fast boot, boot order, etc.) which may be why this doesn’t fix it.

I also applied for a refund for my unit on Aliexpress since the screen glitches appear to temporarily “burn in” a pattern into the screen which fades over time (I thought it was permanent at the time) and received a full refund. Chuwi didn’t respond to my request so Aliexpress stepped in and did it.

@GunGlaus Thanks for the info, I’ll give the latest Ubuntu nightly a shot; and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Seems like it has something to do with the GPU not being “reset” properly? Maybe even the display is the issue? I have also seen similar corruption when trying to displays to an unsupported resolution. Maybe, on reboot, the display isn’t correctly sending the resolutions it supports and so the GPU/driver tries to output a “standard” resolution that the display doesn’t support.
Total speculation.

Also @WolfTech716 Nice hat :slight_smile: still got mine from a few years ago.

1 Like

So far so good with the 24.04 nightly, will check in if the issue returns.

The Ubuntu 24.04 nightly has been working great for the past 2 weeks but the issue seems to have unfortunately returned.
There has been a kernel update from version 6.6.0-14 to 6.8.0-11 which re-introduced the issue.
I have filed a bug report on Ubuntu’s Launchpad (Bug #2056748 “Display Corruption on Chuwi Minibook X N100 (Regre...” : Bugs : linux package : Ubuntu)

i resently bought a Chuwi ubook, and offcourse uninstalled the M$ virus, had no problems with screen, other then tablet rotation/touchscreen which is messed up on linux, but pop OS seemed to just work other then the start rotation being wierd. The touch screen transformation thingie even seems to work with rotation of the screen.

Update: a kernel patch has been merged - drm/i915/dsi: Go back to the previous INIT_OTP/DISPLAY_ON order, mostly (18846627) · Commits · drm / tip · GitLab
Hopefully will be in the next release candidate.