Chromebook recomendation

Trying to find a Chromebook for the wife, less than $300 but good for internet surfing and YouTube. It will be primarily used for doing simple business tasks like docs, sheets, etc.

I was thinking this http://a.co/6VFsQgp

I have the Asus C201, and it’s ok, it could be better. So I was thinking for an extra $50 to $100 I could get her something a little better.

Thanks

Honestly I would recommend this. it’s a bit over your budget but the Android Play Support is worth it in my opinion. plus it comes with a stylus (it’s also embedded in the laptop so you can retrieve and use it, and put it back at any time)

Also USB-C is nice.

3 Likes

For your use case really any chromebook would do ok, keep in mind the only documents or spreadsheets you are gonna be able to use are web embedded google documents. I picked up a C720 a few years ago on sale for $75. I actually still use it quite often, my plan was to change out the OS but never did its still good for web browsing and pretty much nothing else.

The guy above me recommends that expensive chromebook because it supports play store but so does the one you picked out so I don’t understand why that is such a selling point too him.

Microsoft makes Word and Excel and… for Android that can run on a Chromebook.

Compared to how other Android apps work on a Chromebook, those ones actually work pretty well.

Because the specs are better and has an included stylus for note-taking…

I have an ASUS Flip and it’s really nice user experience. ASUS has just released the new one with a more powerful processor and might be worth looking into. The only negative I can think of for the device is its small form factor 10 inch device. The keyboard is a little small for a guy like me with big hands, might not be a concern for your wife. So if it’s too small the things I would say are “Must have” when looking for a Chromebook are:

• Must have at least 4GB of RAM
  • Must have touch screen
  • Must have Play Store support

That’s about it, having a hinge that can allow the laptop to convert to a tablet is nice, even if just because it will have a better hinge and you never intend to use it in tablet mode.

Note: the C100PA is the older model, (the one I have) this is old stock and are being discounted. The new version is the C101PA LINK

1 Like

Here you go a video of my Flip…

https://photos.app.goo.gl/obW8Zwaq2kkSUyZ13

When it comes to Chromebooks I have a difference of opinion to the others who have replied. The only thing that really matters is an ok screen a SSD and a decent battery. My reasoning is this, if you are going to spend money on a computer it should be more capable than any Chromebook is. 2gb of ram is enough for a decent amount of browser tabs in the light weight chrome os and any modernish CPU is good enough for browser tasks, that is all a Chromebook is good for. Play store support is nice but ide rather spend money on a cell phone with slimport if I want Android apps on a monitor, way more portable. The way I see it Chromebooks have very limited uses and you should spend less than $100 if you want one.

1 Like

You’re so posh and british like ‘o’

Personally, I hate chromebooks. They’re great if you want the google tools specifically and only the google tools, but I like having a little netbook that is more hardware capable. I have a little Acer AspireONE D150 KAV10 that, with few upgrades, can kick some ass if you want it to. It has Sata 2, DDR2, can come in 2 core but I have a single core one but it does have hyperthreading! Mine is from 2007 I think, maybe 2006, but it does all I need a netbook/chromebook to do. Firefox and abiword. If I had an SSD to throw in this I would probably have a snappy little thing.

Otherwise some of the Asus chromebooks that have i3’s are cool. You can hack an SSD into them and install ubuntu and play skyrim of all things. Pretty great little toy for that. Otherwise I’d just get a netbook and kick it with that but thats just me really.

+1 my father has the Chromebook Plus and it is great, the pro should be even better with a core m

Initially android apps ran better on the ARM model, supposedly now fixed by Google but can’t confirm.

1 Like

So many use-case scenarios. I like the idea of a touch screen and play support but ultimately a chromebook’s value to me is slim, light, long battery life and no fans.
For the ball-n-chain, got the Acer Chromebook CB3-431-C5EX
Cons:

• I do not believe it supports the play store * correction updated yesterday and play is there now.
  • No USB-C, proprietary charging port
  • Is a slippery slope towards becoming dependant on google driver services

Pros:

• does what I bought it for- light weight long lasting no fan noise/holes to block with clothes/blanket etc web browser that has what feels like great build quailty
  • When using ESXi 6.5 and above for the home server, only need web-browser to administrate (well… in a perfect world).
  • Can still use OpenVPN if traveling

As time progresses I can see myself using a Chromebook and remoting into various VMs when I need something more.

This is what I’ve read as well. I’m sure they will iron it out, but I haven’t heard any updates yet.

If I had to pick one today I would go with the Samsung Chromebook Plus. The Android app compatibility is the turning point that actually made me start seriously considering getting a Chromebook, so if they don’t all run properly on the Pro, I wouldn’t get it. The Plus is more than powerful enough for a Chromebook anyways.

The Asus Chromebook Flip would be my choice if I didn’t care about having a stylus.

On the flip side what about this Acer Aspire E 15 E5-575-33BM 15.6-Inch FHD Notebook (Intel Core i3-7100U 7th Generation , 4GB DDR4, 1TB 5400RPM HD, Intel HD Graphics 620, Windows 10 Home), Obsidian Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K1IO3QW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_YlifAbHP7B720

Looks ok to me. Look up reviews from repair stores and see what goes wrong with them.