Choice of Linux Distribution for gaming

The reasons to do this from a practical point of view are so niche I would never recommend it to anyone.

If you need it you already know it and have done it without asking how.

1 Like

Yeah, basically this. There are so many passthrough evangelists out there that it doesnā€™t need to be said.

I use it, but only because I like the challenge.

Thanks for all the input.

As it wonā€™t affect my main/work system anyway, I think Iā€™m going to give Manjaro a chance, as its packages are potentially slightly more stable than Endeavour and Manjaro offers a minimal XFCE install which should probably not be more bloated than Endevour. If this proves ton not be to my liking I might switch to Debian/Testing or Debian/Stable+backports instead.

Once I have time Iā€™m going to install it and figure out how to set up the user and group ids and permissions to restrict write/read access to my other partitions. Donā€™t worry, I donā€™t expect perfect security from this, itā€™s more about limiting the effects of bugs like eg this one https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux/issues/3671

As long as you donā€™t end up distrohopping youā€™ll be fine.

Do you want this thread marked solved and closed?

1 Like

I do know about gpu passthrough and that at least with win10 there is looking glass, but this likely wont work out for me.
I only have one gpu; the newest windows license I own is win7 and after all the trouble windows gave me Iā€™m reluctant to buy a newer license.
And with all that trouble windows was causing me, eating away from my play time. I believe it might not be entirely unrealistic to assume, that ā€” even though only some games are native linux and some tweaking will be required ā€” I might still spent less time maintaining and fixing the ā€œgaming osā€ than before. With virtualisation and passthrough I would still end up needing to run and maintain Windows. I am just much more familiar with linux :slight_smile: .
But this will vary depending on the person and the situation; for some passthrough might be ideal.

I was running a setup like yours for a long time and it was a partition mess of my hard drives. Thatā€™s why I opted for getting windows off of baremetal. Having that one GPU is definitely a factor to consider. But ultimately it really depends on your use case.

I am not familiar with the distro you are settling on but Linux is Linux to me. I am a disciple of Linux From Scratch and have successfully completed that project. Running a lean Linux system is definitely nice and going full virtualization with say Promox certainly gets you close to running a lean system with the frills of a distro. Thatā€™s my 2 cents worth.

Good luck!

1 Like