Chinese hardware hacking - Supermicro

It should not be that hard to take a look at some server boards and find a grain of sand/ or rice in this day and age.

WTF is this :)~

With the Victims denying it, iā€™d have to assume that now years after the fact, that it would be hard enough to find them, much less prove you were looking at ā€œthose boardsā€.

I agreeā€¦ specifically targeted shipments. It may be hard to produce physical evidence.

The grain of rice fud has been bouncing around for a little while nowā€¦

I have to ask myselfā€¦ Why use an add on ā€¦when you can compromise the firmware directly or incorporate it into the design directly in some not so obvious manner.

An add on would stick out like a sore thumb.

Interesting. I guess Iā€™ll have to wait for the dust to clear.

2 Likes

Itā€™s pretty routine for someone in the supply-chain path to reflash firmware to line them up with a larger shipment.

I wonder now if the security sweep at larger operations has really gotten to the point of demanding schematics and BOMs and doing a visual and probe checklist?

1 Like

Supposedly it was only discovered because of some malicious behavior. Not because the implant was physically noticed.

Hereā€™s a scary thought,
If these are servers, what would happen if you set the implant run in pass-through mode and activate only after several months of being powered-on?
A server in a datacenter will be powered on 24/7 but is that necessarily the case for the security testing lab?

1 Like

Well, this story might e 100% BS, butā€¦ all of this discussion of recent events is why Iā€™ve been saying since before smeltdown and rowhammer than we need to change our thought-process and expectations on computer security.

We need to give up on the idea that ā€œsecureā€ computers are any more ā€œsecureā€ than a locked door (the old saying is ā€œlocks keep honest people honestā€¦ā€). We are not converging on a day where computers are ā€œinherently secureā€, we are moving away from that even being possible.

As such, our focus has to include the same things we include in other realms of security and defenseā€¦ dealing with the human element and making sure there is ā€œadequate dis-incentiveā€ for malicious behavior whether by criminal or government actor.

Youā€™ve pointed out this is off topic, so Iā€™ll be short. What about the TAO intercepting Cisco routers and other products sent globally? https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/05/photos-of-an-nsa-upgrade-factory-show-cisco-router-getting-implant/

Blockquote
ā€œshipments of computer network devices (servers, routers, etc,) being delivered to our targets throughout the world are intercepted. Next, they are redirected to a secret location where Tailored Access Operations/Access Operations (AO-S326) employees, with the support of the Remote Operations Center (S321), enable the installation of beacon implants directly into our targetsā€™ electronic devices. These devices are then re-packaged and placed back into transit to the original destination. All of this happens with the support of Intelligence Community partners and the technical wizards in TAO.ā€

It doesnā€™t help with the backdoors built in some of the appliances either.

1 Like

Obviously the NSA spies on people, thatā€™s their job. Just not American people, and not to steal intellectual property to give American companies a market advantage.

1 Like

While I donā€™t necessarially trust them, thereā€™s nothing I can do about it, so I donā€™t worry about it.

I recommend everyone else do the same.

1 Like

The NSA was set up to help in WW2. Then it carried out attacks using information technology systems and is believed to do the same as every other countries intelligence services: Make their countries economy perform better.
Obviously, nobody would ever admit cheating to gain an economical advantageā€¦

If they wonā€™t admit to it, I have four words for you:

When did we do away with innocent until proven guilty.

Anyone who knows me knows that Iā€™m not a huge fan of the intelligence community, but Iā€™m not going to indict them without evidence.

Ballā€™s in your court kiddo. Prove it.

3 Likes

A little more descriptiveā€¦

1 Like

And now we have an expanded statement from Apple:

Hereā€™s the equivalent from Supermicro:

https://www.supermicro.com/newsroom/pressreleases/2018/press181004_Bloomberg.cfm

Story from Toms Hardware
Just buy it TM /s

Eh, has there been any boards found with this issue or is this all conjecture

Conjecture atm, tho bloomberg claim some high level sources. Only time will tell.

Unless it was on like every board eh to be honest

Well my company deals almost entirely with supermicro for servers, so Iā€™m on the edge of my seat for this one.

I run them in my PFsense and Freenas box, but dont have ipmi on ATM and would be on an OOBM network so eh would need physical access or already pwned my switch