Cheapest place to get a big box o network cable?

I find myself haveing to run cable all the fucking time so i was wondering what is the cheapest place to pickup a big box

Amazon

2 Likes

not really the ebay price is better than amazon

Yeah if you want shit cable thats labeled cat6 but its actually cat4e.

pretty unlikely for it to be cat4e although i was of course looking at cat5e because in practice it generally wont make a difference

Aside from constant line noise, not enough bandwidth if you want higher speed in your lines, etc. Cat6 is literally cents more expensive.

if noise is a problem then FTP is gonna make more of a difference than choosing cat6 over 5e, both can max out existing equipment in practice.

It’s been my understanding that for 1Gb networking, Cat5e is sufficient for runs less than 328 feet. Cat6 will be more ideal of course.

Cat 5e is basiclly more then sufficient for just normal home networking use 1Gb/s networks.
Cat 6 has higher troughput but isnt shielded.

@MisteryAngel from what I have read I think you are a little mix up. Cat6 is the one shielded not cat 5e.

From what I have read cat 5e will transfer at 1th speeds as long as your cable is less than 60 meters also I have found a good wholesaler for cables as long as you live in the United States. The only drawback is you have to purchase at least 250 feet.

when I get a chase I will link the web address, I am not near my computer right now.

Here is the link I promised. Warehouse Cables

Cat6 is not necessarily shielded

I reread my information and you are right @Eden it depends on what type and where is it going to be used. What I got confused is usually with cat 6 and cat 6a there is a separated inside the cable to help keep the wires separate to prevent crosstalk.

I’d be wary of getting this stuff of ebay. Seem to be plenty of subpar cable out there. Just sticking a plastic divider down the middle to divide the (twisted) pairs up doesn’t neccesarily make it cat6e, unless I am very much mistaken.

Also be wary of getting the plugs off ebay. I had a bunch just rust up on me. Not so gold plated after all.

You get what you pay for. If it is in a proper spool inside a box, it is probably fine. If it is just a roll, probably not.

Also, it seems like you wanted an argument rather than suggestions lol.

I got my Furukawa black CAT5e box at Mercado Libre, paid almost half price for the whole thing.

Some things need clarity for outside interference shelding that is FTP, UTP is not well protected from this. :cat2: 6 the pairs are separated a little better than :cat2: 5e. Generally there will not be a difference unless really long runs. I will not exceed 25ft so for me it won’t make much of a difference. I will check out that cable wharehouse link later btw thanks 4 that.

No, it doesn’t, but I have never of heard of or saw a divider in a cable and it wasn’t either cat 6 or cat 6a. As far as I know, there isn’t a cat 6e standard, I could be wrong. To get back to the subject at hand, I will agree with you, ebay would be the worst place to purchase any type of cabling. I am not looking for a fight, it’s just I thought @pepeprs would like to know there are several different types Ethernet cabling, I guess I should stop it before I confuse @pepeprs anymore. Either Cat 5e or Cat 6 cabling will work for you @pepeprs, just make sure if you use Cat 5e (if you want to have the maximum throughput) make sure to use the shortest length you can get away with and you will be fine. In fact today I am adding a Catagory 5e cable to my brand new Samsung 4K Television set. I am sick and tired of flaky WiFI, I tried to watch the Superball yesterday and at first, WIFI was ok, just a dropped packet once in a while, but right in the middle of the game, I was dropping packets every 3 minutes, it was never this bad before, so that was the last straw, and I am finally going to bite the bullet and slowly add Ethernet cabbing to this house.

1 Like

Ik all cables are not created equal, for example you will find aluminum wire ones rated :cat2:6 and aluminum wire with a copper coating. Copper coated is better than aluminum and all copper is better than copper coated. Cable construction is more meaningful than what it’s rated at. Better materials, speration between the twisted pairs and foil shelding = a better :cat2:. I have an electrical background, I do not not understand how cables work but I still wanna get a big box of cable for as cheap as I possibly can.

Just pay attention to the seller rating and ebay is just as good if not better to use than amazon. I’ve gotten plenty of stuff from both places and honestly the amazon marketplace is full of the same crap. The same sellers are on both sites so its not like it makes a big difference. The stuff sold by amazon is usually of decent quality but not always. You could always visit the box stores if youre really concerned about it. Newegg has a few options as well which they sell themselves.

As far as cable goes, CAT5e UTP is good enough for most stuff and IMO easier to work with as far as installation goes. Some CAT6 can be harder to fish and crimp. Aluminum doesnt immediately make the cable crappier but it does have different characteristics. Stranded vs solid matters more to me than aluminum vs copper but thats just my opinion.

The cable you choose should be picked based on where you plan to use it mainly.

1 Like

Aluminum is ok but you can’t run it as far because more resistance. It’s also more brittle if you use Poe it will be notaceable worse, omes law yo