Change Icons of Linux Mint panel directories

I’d LOVE to be able to change the icons on extra directories/folders I place on my Mint 19.1 cinnamon 64 bit panel at the bottom ( just like how my win 10 taskbar has Documents, Pictures, Music, downloads , etc folders with different icons).

The other folders, other than the default main Directory ( Home) folder, are all the same being those red rocket ships with white backgrounds.

Please help? Thank you much. I’m logging my successes with everything you guys have helped me with on here and will one day combine it all into one url or something maybe.

1 Like

Can’t help but Mint has a HUGE forum.
Mint Master Race!

So let me get this straight, do you want to change the icons for specific directories or all of them?

Well I don’t mind the Home Directory remaining stock, but I would like to have different icons for each of my Pictures,Documents, Music, Downloads and Movies folders if possible.

Perhaps I overlooked it, but I didn’t see any successful solutions mentioned in the Mint forums yet as of yesterday evening. I’ll check again soon.

1 Like

Are you using Mint with cinnamon, or with MATE?

Well you could of course install different icon packs.
However the stock folder icon´s are generally the same.
You can change the color of those folders icons indvidually in the file manager.
But that probablly isn´t what you are looking for.

I know that Dolphin lets you change the icon for a folder, and I think that Caja (MATE desktop) and Nemo (Cinnamon desktop) let you do the same.

Likely by right clicking a folder > Properties
In properties, click the picture of the folder
Select an icon.
Or something along those lines.

This is how it appears in Dolphin, I expect Caja and Nemo to be similar.

1 Like

Nemo and Caja also. :slight_smile:

My bad, Nemo is the file manager for Cinnamon; not nautilus

1 Like

I decided on Ubuntu 18.04 mate for now. So far so good. Can just click and drag right into the panel just like in Windows ( only in windows, I have to always make a toolbar folder to be able to put whatever I want in there. Pinning has limitation)

And can rightclick the item, and then left click inside it’s popup window on the picture icon and find the icon I want. So, …so far, problem solved.

Thank you much everyone for your input. I’m liking Caja so far better than Nemo as it seems faster and easier to do more with.

1 Like

I was using mint 19.1 cinnamon 64, but for now I’m using Ubuntu 18.04 mate.

I’m glad to hear that worked for you. Also, you can’t go wrong with Ubuntu MATE :slightly_smiling_face:

Good choice i also run Ubuntu Mate on my work system.
Although i’m kinda considering to change to Linux Mint Mate 19.1.
Or 19.3 as soon as that is out.

Just click on the “Red Rocketship” and it’ll allow you to edit the icon.

Try this:
Right Click in the Launcher area over an existing launcher icon and select add.

Tooltip_003

Name the Launcher whatever you want.
In the command box type nemo and the path to your folder ie. nemo /home/username/Pictures
click on the “Red Rocket” icon on the side

Selection_004

Find the Icon you want to use on your system. (Should be an Icon folder on the left hand side of the dialog)
Select that Icon by clicking it and saying ok at the bottom.

Selection_008

Save your launcher.
Voila

Selection_009

I have found that it only likes to display the icons from the same theme that you have set so maybe just one of those.

2 Likes

Right click the folder go to properties. On the box that opens click the image of the folder next to the information. Here you can chose from the list OR click browse and chose an image that you want. It DOES NOT need to be an icon format.