Direct charging on old usb 5.3 volt 2 amp

New charger direct via usb
It says ^fast charging^ on the phone screen

Qc3.0 and a wireless stand
It says ^Fast wireless charging^ on the screen

1 Like

And?

2 Likes

Writing down to build metrics and get an idea of how much more quickly a charger will work above the stock
I suppose

With Samsung killing with the Galaxy Note line all together
replacing them with Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge units
that means the market will be flooded with sevens and seven edge units within the year, as people start to get rid of them.

it would be good to know what is the best charging method

, I'm currently trying to get my battery back down to about 8% to see it's estimated charge time on the old charger but with a wireless dock

Ok this is the old charger 5.3volt 2.0 amp
On a wireless dock

Trying for as direct battery levels for comparison as I can
New charger on wireless dock
"Fast wireless charging"

Ok here it was fast wireless chargin since the last photo, up to 52%

So you can say roughly 40% in an hour 30?

52 % to 73%
4:10 to 4:45

2 Likes

All you need to care about is the max current of the charger, .5 is worthless, 1 A is still slow, 2 A is ok for a middle-of-the-day charge.

Apparently it is not that simple I will have another photograph in a second
The Adaptive Chargers can charge up like 5 volts 9 volts 12 volts up to three and a half amps

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01ASWX434/ref=ya_aw_oh_bia_dp?ie=UTF8&psc=1#productDescription_secondary_view_div_1476307929240

• Output 1: DC 5V/3A, 9V/2A, 12V/2A(QC 3.0)
  • Output 2: DC 5V/Max 2.4A(SmartID)
  • Power: 36W

If you want some nice chargers,get Aukey or Anker ones.

This little experiment was not about brand but effectiveness

1 Like

You can see
old charger
vs
new charger
on the wireless dock is
5.3volt 2amp = 2 hours 45 minutes
vs
?x volt ?x amp = 1 hour 55 minutes
This wireless charger says on the box that has a maximum output of 10 watts
But that cannot possibly be true because of the old charger brick would be outputting 10 watt no?
Minus whatever in efficiencies are brought on by the act of Wireless induction

So the new charger should not have an effect but it does roughly 40 minutes faster so maybe it's actually only charging at a rate of 5 watts do to the inefficiency and the new charger has enough power to overcome that and actually charge at a full 10 watts

wow... you've got balls.... fast charging a phone that has been recalled for having unstable batteries???

You know they've been exploding in flames right?

1 Like

https://mobile.twitter.com/Barnacules/status/786033459508736000/photo/1

https://imgur.com/7VcVFAj
imgur.com/7VcVFAj

he has s7

not note 7

1 Like

Wrong.

jesus christ jerry

1 Like

Fast charging devices reduces the lifespan of the battery and should be used only if really needed.

No that was the stock charger to my older phone but it was an actual Samsung charger

Today my phone and charger hardly got warm but it was warmer than during General usage but not nearly as warm as playing a video game

For crying out loud, could you at least try and fact check yourself before spewing nonsense?

Quick Charge 3.0 is 100% backwards compatible with Quick Charge 2.0 which is what the S7 supports.
Only thing new with QC 3.0 is more voltage states available for the device to pick from if the device supports that.
QC2.0 with phones (Class A) for example had 5V, 9V and 12V output options from the charger while QC3.0 enables the device to pick and choose the transfer voltage in 200mV increments ranging from 3.6V to 12V.
Hook a QC2.0 device to a QC3.0 charger and the charger will act just like a QC2.0 charger.

And the "might go in flames or get damaged" is horse shit. There's a reason why they implemented a digital handshake in there. If the device doesn't support QC2.0 or 3.0, the charger will act like a dumb 5V charger and the device will only pull as much current as it's programmed to and/or what the charger can output.
The QC charger will NOT output a voltage higher than 5V unless the device specifically asks the charger: I want power level X.
Simplified handshake
Device: Yohoo
Charger: Hello
Device: Can you quick charge? I'm QC2.0
Charger: Yes, I can. Let's charge at QC2.0.
Device: Wonderful, give me power level Y
Charger: Okay dokey, here you go
Fast charging...

Here's an example of a certified QC 3.0 power controller from ON Semiconductor, the NCP4371.
It's a 13 page spec sheet full of glorious nitty gritty details of how it all works.
http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/NCP4371-D.PDF

Here's the important bit

Also no, fast charging doesn't reduce the lifespan. Battery up to full faster means less time spent heating the battery up.
Lithium batteries don't like anything below or above room temperature so the less time you spend heating your battery the better.
And on top of that there's the fact that charging batteries doesn't charge the whole battery uniformly. The charge is only being "focused" on to single nanoparticle or a small number of them at any given time and once they're charged it then moves on.. Regardless of what rate you charge them at.
http://www.nature.com/nmat/journal/v13/n12/full/nmat4084.html
Charging slower because you think it's better for the battery? Well great, whatever floats your boat. You're just charging the individual particles for longer and keeping their temperature higher for longer. Have a nice day.

If you really want to prolong the life of your battery, don't discharge it too low and don't charge it too high.
The biggest impact to lithium battery cycle life is DoD or Depth of Discharge.
Generally speaking, the least you should do is not let it drop below 15%.
To really keep it going for at least twice the cycle life, you need to drop the DoD from 85% closer to 60-65%. Taking it further just improves it more and more.
Another thing you can do is limit the State of Charge or at least not leaving the device hooked up to the charger after it's done charging..
Going from 95% to 100% takes quite a while and in the grand scheme of things is a drop in the bucket capacity wise.
Feel free to take this as far as you want. Hook up the phone to a quick charger as many times a day as you want if it means you can keep the battery in the comfortable ~ 30-80% range all day.
And while you're at it, throw in a monthly 100%>15%>100% cycle just to make sure the fuel gauge stays accurate.

5 Likes

On the first part I agree, my bad. I didn't know that the GS7 is QC2.0 compliant so I had a rush of shit to the brain.

The second part: I didin't specify what "slower charge" meant to me. When I was talking about using slower charger I meant at least 2A. Also What you said about the heat on batteries while charging is counter intuitive: if you're pumping 9 or even 12V into such a small package the whole charging circuit and battery will get really hot. That why One Plus (not me but people that know what they're doing) had to create a proprietary technology to keep some of the heat of fast charging out of their phone. And if they did it that must mean something.

Third paragraph: I agree 100% and that's my behaviour.

P.S. No need to be kinda rude if I did say something stupid and I admit my mistake don't you think?

1 Like

Well, strictly speaking you're not pumping 9V or 12V into the battery, the charging voltage of current generation smartphone Li-Ion batteries is 4.4V and typically the charge rate is 1C.
And just pumping say 9 volts isn't a problem, the amount of current and as a result, the power is.
The heat comes from the stepdown process which is done by the PMIC onboard the device.

What OPPO did with their VOOC, which is what OnePlus is using btw, they just relocated that problem elsewhere (the charger) and in the process are wasting a fuckload of power inside the cable, relatively speaking.

Since, you know, Quick Charge wasn't invented with faster charging in mind, per se. It just happens to enable faster charging in the same process while improving the overall efficiency.
What was the problem Qualcomm was trying to solve?
Even though copper is a good conductor, it still has resistance.
And what's the cable users usually use with their devices?
OEM cables. And what's the business model of said OEM's?
Make profit. That means the cables are done as cheap as humanly possible while keeping the perceived quality and using as little precious copper as possible.

So instead of jamming 4 amps worth of angry pixies down a pipe, that's your OPPO VOOC / OnePlus Dash Charge, QC ups the voltage instead and transfers the power more efficiently across to the device where it's then stepped down.
Keep the same output power from the charger but increase the voltage instead. Thanks to ohm's law, current drops down. Less current, less voltage drop across the cable.
And voilá, we have Quick Charge. Green Charge wouldn't have been a catchy marketing name, would it :D

I mean, take your average Joe's USB cable as an example, usually that means 26AWG power conductors.
If you're jamming 5V4A across a 1 meter cable, you're going to loose over 20% of the power in that generic cable, about 4.3W to be exact..
Now take your usual stepdown circuit and give it a reasonable 90% efficiency, there, you lost another 10% of the original power. Lost 30% of the original.
20W sent into the cable, 15.7W received at the other end and in the end usable power is 14.1W. 70% efficiency.

Now let's go ahead and use QC with the same 26AWG / 1 meter cable. 9V 2A across, 6% is lost or 1.08W wasted as heat.
18W sent across the cable, 16.92W received, and after stepdown 15.228W usable. 84.6% efficiency.

Now multiply 3W by, let's say 100 million devices and use a duration of 30 minutes. That's one hell of a whollop of energy wasted for absolutely nothing. (~3W being the diff. between VOOC/QC3.0 in the above calc.)
Thankfully Qualcomm made it first with their QC. And it's everywhere at this point.

I'll personally take QC 3.0 anyday over VOOC despite my HTC 10 feeling a bit warm thanks to it's internal layout. It's a bit of a heat trap unfortunately.
a) I can use whatever the cable I want* and pretty much not have to worry about the charging speed (or efficiency) thanks to the adaptive transfer voltage
b) Did I already say it's everywhere? Let's see about the 3rd party offerings...looks like the number of manufacturers and products is a fuckload. Now let's see for VOOC or Dash Charge, oh wait it's 100% closed and proprietary, no 3rd party products available. That's a shame.

*I'm such a conscient person about efficiency that I even purchased a USB cable with 20AWG conductors for my HTC 10. A bit crazy I must admit.

Good to hear.

Rude? Well my apologies (really) if it came across that way, the sole reason I posted was just to correct the information given. It just ticks me off when people don't have the decency or time or effort or whatever the reason is to make sure what they're saying is correct (oh wait, this is the internet..) and occasionally that translates into how I write something.

4 Likes

preach it brother