Category Overhaul In Progress

We are currently in the process of overhauling the categories. During this time, you’ll likely get a lot of notifications. We apologize for the spam and any inconveniences :pray:

16 Likes

I greatly appreciate the work you’re doing here to help us out – thank you

11 Likes

Thank you for the banned, i was wondering why i got edited by you and Amber but with no change i could see…

Good luck !

3 Likes

I was wondering about that too, but the edit is the category you see up top… it’s just not highlighted by Discourse :sweat_smile:

2 Likes
Sarge The Hero

without cape

5 Likes

As an update everyone, most category updates are finished. There’s some minor things left, and moving will trickle for a few days as I continue moving posts to new categories.

11 Likes

i feel cheated. i was promised hormel products and inconviences!!!

thanks for the work you are doing, i really didn’t notice anything except the banners.

4 Likes

Haha. Glad it went smoothly! I think the server was chugging while we were trying to move 1000s of posts, but besides that, all was well lol

4 Likes

Wait…

You and Sarge…

did it by HAND‽

giphy-1540960006

29286186-798197898

3 Likes

Yup!

To clarify, there’s a mass move feature for categories and “select all” but yeah, some have to be moved individually.

2 Likes

you & @SgtAwesomesauce dedication, sacrifice and effort are very much appreciated… and of course and any team members who might have been cajoled into helping…

phew! I was kinda worried, as Sarge does automation for a living… and this seems kind of almost automatable…

but I presume not every case is a cut-and-dried one.

anyway, have a great afternoon

1 Like

It could probably have been automated, but there’s a time-complexity tradeoff here where you spend so much time making your automation tool satisfy all the parameters you need that eventually it’s just faster to do it by hand.

Especially if this is a one-off task like category reorganization. (of course, we’ll be doing this again in a few years, but that’s a problem for future me)

1 Like

pretty sure that future SgtAwesomeSauce is going to hate you at this rate. just how much stuff have you foisted off onto that poor dude?

1 Like

Present me already hates past me, so I think it’s just a vicious circle.

On a more serious note, I want to give thanks to Amber for her excellent work in organizing and planning this overhaul. I merely provided some insight, a bit of back and forth and then an hour or two of migration effort yesterday. I don’t want anyone to misunderstand her level of effort on this. :smiley:

5 Likes

You mean, you’ve never spent weeks planning something which was done in an hour?

:yay:

Thanks to everyone involved. Seems like it’s going well.

3 Likes

Said every Sysadmin ever :wink:

4 Likes

This seems to be true of any tech endeavor!

Thank you all for a job well done!

4 Likes

Sometimes you choose to hike the 1/4 instead. All paths are valid.

5 Likes