Casting bread upon the waters - x99 e ws usb 3.1

Okay so here goes. . . I'm building my first genuine work station. After numerous attempts to acquire a fully functional main board from ASUS I have finally succeeded. I've included 128 GB of Corsair Platinum Dominator ram in the build (I have some pictures somewhere I might add later). The ram comes with the Corsair Air Flow cooling fans and this is where I hit a wall. I specially ordered a cooler from Noctua specifically built for more commercial applications but it suits my needs as the other coolers from Noctua do not make enough clearance for the high profile ram plus the huge Corsair Air Flow ram coolers. The cooler is not that noisy and does not present a clearance problem. HOWEVER...

The ASUS X99-E WS USB 3.1 main board has these on board cooling pipes near the DIMMS which seem to obstruct the Corsair brackets that are supposed to clip onto the DIMM sockets. I called Corsair and they insist that the fit is universal. I'm up a stump. Any suggestions?

1 Like

pics?

I'll take some fresh ones to give a better view of what's going on inside

Rats. Thought I got rid of that dust but evidently not all of it.

2 Likes

I'm thinking I might have to modify the brackets or make my own version. :pensive:

Here's a couple of snaps of the actual ram fans themselves

you could just unscrew the clips and use zip ties to the heat pipes.

probably easier then modifying the clips, although not as aesthetic.

That might work. (Until the ties get brittle and break). I'll consider it. Thanks :grin:

(sorry about the dirty pictures)

C'mon... You know you want to give me your Zotac for my birthday. You know you do!

Honestly, skip putting the coolers on. DDR4 runs at a pretty low voltage and non-ecc memory just doesn't get that hot. Its not neccessary, those coolers usually tend to make a bit of unwanted noise, and the ram will function just fine without it.

Corsair :smiley:

it has micron memory so 4.1ghz instead of the advertised 8ghz samsung =/

and if you dont want zip ties, you could also use one of the tougher climbing ropes made of nylon or fishing line. tie it down with a few lines independently so if one goes you wont even notice and the fans stay put.

@cave he may be planning on overclocking it

1 Like

Another 200 BUX wasted. lol I considered this but my board temp is at 43° C now after sitting in idle for 6 hours. If they help to take it down even a couple of ° it would be worth it, I think.

Sorry but what drove you to X99 right now? And what CPU do you wanna put in there?

Yeah, I've had to Mcgiver a few builds like that in my seasoned daze of PC frankensteining. Only 4.1 did you say? Not the best for bit coin then.

nvidia pulled the 3.5 thing all over again only with all of the ram. still want it?

Long story. I did not get the board right now. I initially got it over a year ago and ASUS had to RMA it four times before they finally found one that was functional enough for me to build. I'm using an Intel 6850.

No thanks, Fred. I'll pass. Unless you're giving it away. lol :grinning:

I'm going to be honest with you man, the hottest thing on your board is going to be your vrm, and your vrm on a board like that isn't going to even get within spitting distance of dangerous temperatures. Keep in mind, a vrm really is fine until we start hitting the 125c range. Losing a couple C of a board temp that low is beyond diminishing returns.

Even look at the corsair modules themselves. Its been found on some of their dominator platinum modules before that the heatsinks aren't even attached to the ram modules with thermal pads, but with straight glue. They don't run hot, the heat sink doesn't need to dissipate much heat, so the heat sink is only there for ascetic reasons in a lot of cases. I mean even the hot running ECC ram variants have ditched heat sinks in recent years, just because ram modules don't create that much heat.

He's putting 128GB of ram in there, Ryzen caps at 64GB, lets not start this discussion.

1 Like

I just asked a question. And I didn't ask you. :wink:

Well, that sucks. :poop:

What is that machine supposed to do? Render-bitch with a couple GPUs? AI something?
Just curious.

It's supposed to do everything. Home family server, video rendering, online gaming, data recovering, music making, blog developing, forensics, eugenics, metaphysics, and time travel. (Not necessarily in that order) I still have a ways to go.