Cases with (Unofficial) SSI-EEB Support

Time for giant boards in small-ish cases again.

So I’ve been shopping around again for a cheap, compact case that I can stuff a surplus SSI-EEB motherboard into. On one hand it’s not going great, but I’m finding that there are a lot of cases that do have most mounting points for SSI-EEB but don’t mention it anywhere in their advertising materials.

I’m gonna start a thread here that I’ll try to keep updated with cases that appear to support SSI-EEB/‘EATX’ form factors as I find them. If anyone has anything they’d like to add, please do link it below and I’ll put it on the list.

Inclusion on this list doesn’t imply that such a build is a good idea, just that the correct standoffs are present and a board will technically fit. I wouldn’t recommend some of these cases… a lot of them would absolutely cause anything of any meaningful power to commit sudoku, but it will fit.

Last Updated: 2022-12-20
Disclaimer - I only own a couple of these cases; judgements are otherwise made from overlaying a hardware diagram over product images. If you know something is inaccurate, please let me know and I’ll update accordingly.

:green_square: - All mounting points present, should work with any SSI-EEB board.
:yellow_square: - All perimeter mounting points present (may be missing mounting points in center of board), or restrictions/obstructions may be present.
:red_square: - Missing perimeter mounting points; will probably still work (most of these are the standoff near the I/O shield), but check if you need them before buying.

1 - Unofficial/Partial Support

:yellow_square: Antec NX410
• All mounting points present, but appears to be very close to obstructing the front intake fans.

:red_square: AZZA Octane-A 460A
• Missing SSI-EEB alternate top-left standoff near I/O shield.
:red_square: AZZA Hive 450
:red_square: AZZA Eclipse 440

:red_square: Anidees AI Crystal Cube

:green_square: BitFenix DAWN TG

:red_square: Corsair 7000D
:red_square: Corsair 7000X

:red_square: Deepcool MATREXX 70
:red_square: Deepcool MATREXX 55
:red_square: Deepcool CK500, CK560

:red_square: Cougar Gemini S
:red_square: Cougar MX660

:yellow_square: Geometric Future M6
• Mounting points are present, but will obstruct the bottom fan mounts.

:red_square: Jonsplus i400
• Missing center rear SSI-EEB standoff over cable cutout.

:green_square: Montech X3 Mesh
• Extremely close to front panel, verify component clearances.

:red_square: Phanteks Enthoo Pro TG

:red_square: Raijintek Asterion Classic

:red_square: Rosewill RISE
:yellow_square: Rosewill SPECTRA P601
• Central rear standoff(s) missing in place of 2.5" SSD mount.
:green_square: Rosewill SPECTRA C201

:green_square: Segotep Phoenix T1

:red_square: Thermaltake Level 20
:red_square: Thermaltake Level 20 XT
:red_square: Thermatake Level 20 HT
:red_square: Thermaltake Versa T35
:red_square: Thermaltake V250

:yellow_square: Vetroo AL600
• Central rear standoff(s) missing in place of side fan mount.

:yellow_square: XPG Starker
• All mounting points present, but appears to obstruct front intake fans.

2 - Official Support

:green_square: CoolerMaster HAF700 EVO
:green_square: CoolerMaster MasterBox Pro NR600P
:green_square: CoolerMaster MasterBox Pro 5

:green_square: Fractal Define 7 XL
:green_square: Fractal Meshify 7 XL
:green_square: Fractal Torrent

:green_square: Geometric Future M8

:green_square: Phanteks Enthoo 719
:green_square: Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

:green_square: Raijintek PONOS TG

:yellow_square: SilveStone GD07
• Removable hard drive bracket overhangs system board, check clearances.

3 - Discontinued

:yellow_square: DIYPC IDX1
• All mounting points present, however obstructs front intake fans.

:red_square: Rosewill B2 SPIRIT
:red_square: Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra

:red_square: Thermaltake Level 10 GT

4 - Common Problems

The SSI-EEB standard allows for several alternate mounting points, one of which is directly behind the I/O shield. Not all that common in consumer hardware, but this does pop up a lot in dual socket boards, or boards with a lot of memory capacity. I wouldn’t recommend mounting one of these boards without this standoff because of force applied to the I/O area.

5 Likes

Deepcool Matrexx 70 have E-ATX support, but not sure about SSI-EEB cause the official website is really trash.
If the openings fit the standard ATX then it should support it just fine.
Matrexx 70 is an amazing case… Of course it have a couple issues, but then again don’t we all…

Oh yeah, looks like it does. Missing the optional mounting point by the I/O shield, but there are only a handful of boards that use that anyway. The DeepCool case I have is built way better than I expected for the price, it’s genuinely a nice case.

Whenever I have a chance (probably while I’m sitting in the office with nothing to do) I’m going to start adding a snapshot to each entry that shows which mounting holes the case does/doesn’t have.

That’s pretty much everything you could ever need. I’ll probably add SuperMicro’s EEATX, EVGA’s XL-ATX, and some other weird things to it someday. And then there are all the server board form factors meant for rack systems.

Hell, someone should keep a database of these. Maybe I’ll make another MediaWiki, put up another subdomain, and start cataloging cases there. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I recently installed a WRX80 Sage in a Silverstone SST-GD07B-C. It fits but the hdd case is reaching into the vrm heatsinks.

1 Like

I’ve got a WRX80 Sage and an EVGA 1600W T2 PSU in a Fractal Torrent. It was tight working in there, and I kept looking at my Define 7 XL thinking maybe I swap it out.

But I stuck with the Torrent, mostly because I think I can put this case in a 22" rack laying on it’s side (if I cut off the feet). If that doesn’t work out, then I’ll be lurking in this thread looking for EEB cases that can lay on their side inside a rack :slight_smile:

I chuckled when i read that!

I believe the term you were looking for is sepuku
( ritual samuri suicide)
But you raise a very valid point, the case needs to ba able to accomodate the board you plan to use without case modification.

2 Likes

Yep - there are a lot of cases on here that I do not recommend because of poor airflow, no room for drives, no cable routing points, etc, but I’ll let everyone make their own decision on whether it will work for whatever they’re using it for.

Like the Montech X3. It’s got everything needed for EEB support, but it’s tiny and has room for nothing other than the board. Every cable cutout but the one meant for the CPU EPS power connector is covered. But, for something like one of Intel’s server boards with ATX power on the bottom edge right by the PSU shroud, it wouldn’t be bad at all for a workstation with some flash storage.

Wouldn’t call it small, but the Rosewill Rise is compatible.
Maybe there are certain standoff variations it doesn’t support.

1 Like

Also officially supported:

Rosewill B2 Spirit
Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra
Rosewill Blackhawk (rumored, not official - difficult to discern from manual)

Thermal take Level 10 GT

1 Like

Hello everyone!
Has anyone tried RAIJINTEK PONOS TG with SSI-EEB boards? I have a Supermicro X9DRi-LN4F+ and it’s a huge pain to pick up the case for it :frowning:

Well, their PONOS TG is one of the few cases that have all of the standoffs needed for SSI-EEB, so it will work for that. But, the SuperMicro boards ending in ‘+’ are mostly SuperMicro’s own “EE-ATX” form factor (“Enhanced Extended ATX”) which adds another inch to the top edge of the board for the extra memory slots and moves the mounting holes upwards. The only desktop cases I’ve seen that advertise support for EE-ATX are Fractal’s Define 7 XL and Meshify 2 XL:

1 Like

Yeah, that case would have no issue with any size board…

1 Like

Thanks, it looks like you’re right

It’s not the size that bothers me, but the places for mounting the board. Supermicro X9DRi-LN4F+ does have non-standard mounting points.
I’m even ready to make holes in the case, cut threads for the mounting posts of the board, but I’m not sure that in those places where it will be necessary to make fasteners, there will be no cutout in the metal

1 Like

I already wanted to do this in Deepcool MESH 55, but there was no metal in the places I needed

2 Likes

Yep… I have an X9DR3-LN4F+ in my rackmounted NAS that I was trying to put in a case a while back too, a lot of the bigger cases in the list up there do have room for it especially if they advertise radiator support but you’ll have to put a couple new standoffs in it as long as there aren’t cutouts in the way. Best way I found is to just drill a hole where it needs to be, grab some of these in whatever height they need to be for the case, and screw it in through the back side of the motherboard tray.

1 Like

I wish Jonsbo had a better, more functional branch for sales in Western markets. Because everything I’ve bought from them (one Rosewill W1 rebrand, one D30, handful o’ fans) has been genuinely a good product but it’s just so goddamn hard to get them. First their Amazon US store just stopped filling orders - didn’t cancel them, just ignored them. Then Jonsbo US shut down completely. Now they apparently are distributing them through NewEgg again and have another ‘brand’ called JonsPlus for some reason? Wtf is going on over there?

Anyway, this thing looks amazing and I want one but holy crap are they expensive.

I’m so glad that Google just parsed the first image that loaded on the page. :rofl:

I love AliExpress/Alibaba, but when it comes to larger things like cases it shipping cost usually makes it more expensive, and also slooow. But if you by some reason wants to buy five Jonsbo N1 and you’re not in a hurry it’s the place to go :slight_smile:

These are listed as global distributors/agents so they might be able to get other cases too.

US

UK
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/?query=jonsbo&category=Cases%20%26%20Modding

EU
https://www.caseking.de/?__shop=2#search:query=jonsbo+cases&tplview=desktop

Jonsbo list of distributors and agents

From China
Jonsbo cases from Alibaba (check minimum order)

Jonsbo cases from AliExpress. (Check seller rating. If a price is too good to be true, it is.)

I had the JONSPLUS i 400 - Black on Black—extremely nice case. The plan inserts the Asus WRX into the case. But on the JONSPLUS website, it expressed this case is intended and can handle multiple high-power GPUs. Well, if you do the math, multiple high-power GPU, will give you about a 1400 to 1600 PSU. Well, I learned the hard way. PSU in the 1400 range and up, use a C19/C20 socket. The Electrical setup for the internal case of the JONSPLUS i 400 is set up with a C12/C13???. It is extremely smaller and will not plug into a 1600 PSU. I tried my best to get some kind of plug and modification. And what the plug runs across the back of the motherboard to the back side of the case. The plug was going to get larger -, and the larger cable and connection would keep me from having and fan/radiator combination across the top of the case.

I had everything parts-wise I had for the top - EK 280 Surface. For the bottom - Ek Surface 420. Fans on the top set pull the air out, and the bottom fans pull the air through the radiator. This would have been a nice solid little ice box. I wanted to have the larger PSU mounted and pushed up, in line with the radiator, just to give me some room on the bottom side.

And because I could not figure out the electrical portion, AND not do something stupid trying to wire myself. I got frustrated and sold the case off on ebay for $250.00

At this point, I have considered the case again - only because Cooler Master V1100 SFX Platinum Fully Modular PSU, but it is rated for 1100 watts. IF someone can release a 1200-1400 SRX power supply. And I know the connectors will work.

By the way, I purchased the case brand new from Overclockers UK.

Lastly, in inserting a motherboard of this magnitured in this style of case. If you want some cooling in the bottom of the case, you will give up a couple of PCI slots. I was willing to let a couple go. So that I could maximize the cooling.

I would get the case again - no issue!

Sliger might have some, but cant recall exactly now…