Case and Cooling Suggestions (AMD 3900x)

Current Build:
AMD 3900x
Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite
EVGA RTX 2070
Corsair 3000 16GB DDR4

I’ve been thinking about replacing my case for a while and now with my tax refund, I plan on doing just that. I have narrowed what cases I am looking down to just a few, but hit a snag when after further evaluating seeing that one of them had a CPU cooler clearance issue. So now in one setup I would go AIO cooling and the other would be Air-Cooling.

The cases I am looking at are the following:
Lian-Li PC-011 Dynamic or Dynamic XL
Lian-Li Lancool II
Phanteks P400a Digital (Maybe wait for the P500a)
Fractal Meshify S2

If I went the Lian-Li 011 D route since the clearance won’t fit the Noctua NH-D15 I would pare that case with a 280 AIO or a 360 AIO. Alternatively, if I went with the Lian-Li 011 D XL I could go the AIO route or since the clearance does support the Noctua NH-D15 I could do that as well. Then, of course, the Phanteks and Fractal Case I would go the Noctua NH-D15 route.

Air Cooling Route - Noctua NH-D15
AIO - Leaning Towards The NZXT X63

I think I have inundated myself with too much information by googling too much which caused me to think about all the possible options. The Lian-Li PC 011 Dynamic caught my eye because it’s unique. On the flip side, the P400a Digital caught my eye, because it has good cooling/thermals; same with the Meshify S2.

I have posted in these forums a few times discussing various cooling eccentricities with the 3900x and I’m using the stock Wraith cooler, but this was only temporary until I replaced it. I don’t particularly care about RGB, but I’m not opposed to it either. Air-Flow / Cooling and Noise is more important to me, but I’ll admit the bling does tickle me a little bit. I was just about set on going the Noctua Cooling route until I decided to get a new case which is what set me down the road of having to consider AIO’s. I would love to hear suggestions and thoughts that might help me land on a decision.

2 Likes

I was in a similar boat and ultimately went with the standard dynamic case.

I have it setup with intake on side and bottow, exhausting out the top with an Artic Freezer II 360mm AIO in the top - no clearance issues for RAM. CPU is a 3950X and its having messed around a little with fan profiles its silent unless I “really” put it to work and then you can hear it a little (I have it on top of my desk, to my left).

Should note for the fans:
TOP: Fans that came with the AIO
SIDE: 3 x Noctua NF-F12
BOTTOM: 3 x Noctua NF-A12x25

I dont do “bling” :slight_smile:

Note of caution
I have an Aorus Master motherboard and with all 3 fans at the bottom I cannot connect the USB ports on the front of the case. However, should it become a real issue I can do so by removing the center fan.

Yeah I just discovered that with my Aorus Elite. I actually was able to plug in everything except the case io 3.0 usb cable. With a short google search I see they sell low profile extension cables. Im in no rush for that though; I have a really nice USB 3.1 Hub that has 2 3.1/charge ports and 8 usb 3.0 ports. I generally don’t like plugging cables in the case anyways since I always end up hitting them.

I ended up going with:

Lian-Li 011D Dynamic
NZXT X63
6 Corsair ML120 Fans

Here is a picture

This topic was automatically closed after 273 days. New replies are no longer allowed.