Car politics: "coal rollers," "Prius people," & the middle-man

Sorry, your stats are wrong. Animal agriculture makes up 9% of Carbon dioxide emissions in the USA, but over 35% of methane and 65% of nitrous oxides. What you're doing is cherry picking numbers. I wouldn't recommend that, you'll lose.

And no, I have never advocated a 100% vegan diet, ever. What I advocate is eating less meat.

Your knee jerk reaction is proof positive as to why ZERO effort is essentially made to try and alter eating behaviours of western world.

http://www.humanesociety.org/assets/pdfs/farm/hsus-fact-sheet-greenhouse-gas-emissions-from-animal-agriculture.pdf

So you simply assume that I eat too much meat, with absolutely no knowledge of how much meat I do consume?

I don't need to know anything about you personally as I directed nothing at you personally. All of my comments here have been generalized to north American / western peoples. That anger you're feeling is because someone has attacked (in your view) something personal to you (diet). Do some reading on psychology, it's a natural reaction.

I wouldn't say I am angry, more irritated is all, haha. The original topic was in regards to cars, and although your viewpoint is welcome, we have strayed a bit off-topic.

I think you'd better educate yourself better on Diesel technology. I work in the industry and with SCR catalyst systems you can make NOx emissions 0 parts per million out of the exhaust. As far as diesel particulate matter, that is as simple as providing the engine with enough air to quench the cylinder temperatures to prevent an exhaust gas temperature rise higher than 600*F under load. You will start to see diesel particulate matter in diesel exhaust when you reach exhaust gas temperatures of 800-1000*F. This also happens to be around the same temperature NOx emissions are their highest. So theoretically you shouldn't need a Diesel Particulate Filter if you can eliminate particulate emissions from even happening. This doesn't happen with larger Diesel engines or Diesel engines with crappy turbocharger setups because the engineers aren't putting enough effort into keeping exhaust gas temperatures low under continuous high load conditions. Er-go you get diesel particulate smoke sometimes under extremely high loads.

Beezleybuzz I love horses too and if I was of better health and it allowed me to get a job to bring in a decent income I'd follow my uncles and aunts that were or are involved in the harness racing industry. There is nothing like getting on a sulky and driving a standardbred around the track.

rolling coal is dumb

and having a car that runs off of a battery that will pollute a landfill is also dumb.

Just ride a horse everywhere. a horse can offroad better than a truck , it can also swim , and it doesn't use any fossil fuels.

and if you want a new one , just put two of them together and they'll have your replacement horse built in a few months.

2 Likes

It's not leaking, it's marking its territory.

4 Likes

For any environmental change to make a social impact (or to be taken up by significant numbers of people) it needs to benefit both the person(s) that uses it and the environment as well, there is no perfect solution most things that remove or reduce co2 emissions when it comes to transport or production come at a cost to either productivity, environmental damage or hip pocket expenses.

I work for a large retail corporation in australia we run high efficiency refrigeration in many of our 1000 sites not because its good for the environment but because it saves on running costs, the company requires fleet vehicles that are "green" because they cost less to run. If there is only the environment that people think about then there will never be a take up by a large group or company due to the bottom line, unless there is tangible cost benefit analysis in the user(s) favour to support the change to more environmentally sustainable practices people generally won't take up the change en masse.

2 Likes

No perfect solution Geoffrey_Gordon? I think I shared one and there are many out there that could work.

plugin hybrids, downsizing, and elektric cars are slowly starting to take over the market.
Its all about green nowdays, How green the actual elektricity is thats needed to drive all those things.... well thats something you can start a discussion about aswell.
I personaly dont like all this innovation to elektric cars or plugin hybrids.
But yeah, its the future.

You know we could reduce carbon emissions another way if we started to ramp up e85 production to much greater levels which would make it sub 75 cents a gallon. which would also make up for lost gas mileage. Most people do not realize the only thing stopping a car from being flex fuel certified is a software update since 1996. That being said you can run it even without the update. Ive done it... car is not harmed at all lol

There is more than just a "software" update involved in converting a spark ignition fuel system to ethanol fuel based system. You need higher volume injectors and fuel pumps. The fuel lines can't be standard rubber, they need to be made out of special blends of neoprene or silicon instead of aforementioned standard rubber hose or acrylic based plastic lines. The Air fuel ratio of E85 is closer to 9 parts of air to 1 part of fuel, as apposed to, 14.5-14.7 parts of air to 1 part of fuel in normal gasoline and diesel. A spark ignition engine that uses Ethanol as fuel will use up approximately twice the fuel to go the same amount of distance as a standard gasoline fueled engine, if you account for efficiency losses.

On another turn of the same coin, boosting corn production to make more E85 hurts the fields they plant in because farmers won't be able to plant other crops on the existing plot of land. Crop cycling keeps the soil from becoming dead of nutrients required for the growing of certain crops. Without this process you will end up with dead soil that cannot be used for growing crops in it anymore, no amount of fertilizers will help with this issue once you've turned the soil into desert soil.

No, I do not subscribe to this nonsense of E85, it's a fuel source that should only be used for race cars.

Might be true based on manufacturer. First off with ford there is no difference. They are the same part number and same injector

Static free pumps -- Yeah I know.. Ford GM and dodge have been putting them in there since 1997 and I have been on their assembly lines. (no difference since then)

They really have not been since 2001 ... Most are hardened for ethanol already regardless of content. Proven on lots of non flex fuelers running e85 without issue once again post 97

True however if we can reduce t he price enough it will make up the difference which it does in my state.

Cool story. Lets look at brazil. They dont have an issue. Also we can grow it from hemp which does not harm the soil and needs practically nothing to grow. Its basically mary jane

I don't subscribe to the E85 bullshit. It's inefficient horseshit and needs to stay in race cars, where fuel economy doesn't matter.

ehh its a good alternative while we get other sources down pack. I honestly am hopeful for electric and natural gas. Still a hydrocarbon but Natural gas is fucking amazing and we have a huge surplus of it. That and hydrogen would be awesome to. Fuel Cell or combustion but Id prefer FC because other wise we have to deal with water as a major by product (more so than complete gasoline combustion)

Honestly I would like to see reduced fuel costs as it ripples through all our economies and now that china is on the field we are gonna have some issues

By the way a Diesel can run E85 nicely and at better fuel efficiency than running diesel. Its a little know fact because most people do not realize that when diesel engines were made it was a choice because of its ability to not spontaneously combust prematurely

To each their own though the environment is going to continue to unfortunately suffer either that or our pockets since we cant make cars much more efficient than they are now

Ford Model T engine -- 26-30 MPG (Methanol and Ethanol)
Modern I 4 engines 29/38 MAX 40-44 selectr engines (E0-E15)
Hybrids dont count because they are atkinson stroke and use the electric for help. That being said they are very efficient

I don't know where you are pulling your information from but a Compression Ignition engine will not run on a spark ignition fuel with any matter of efficiency. Dude I work on this stuff as a living. If you put gasoline in a diesel system it will miss fire and white smoke. Same goes for any low flash point solvent you attempt to run in a compression ignition engine through injectors designed to compress the fuel to pressures exceeding 10,000 PSI. I guess I'm done discussing things in this thread because obviously you are pulling fake science out of your asscrack.

What I was speaking of is people who actually convert the diesel engines. Which people have done. to run on a spark ignition fuel buts its really really expensive .. requires changing just about everything. I dont really know why they did it though. I think it was proof of concept

In fact Ill quote it straight out of a book. With a general overview of the procedures required but I cant type it all out so heres an exerpt

"Contrary to the opinion of most "experts", diesel engines can be run on pure alcohol. The main problem is in the lubrication of the injectors. This is solved by the addition of 5-20% vegetable oil (or other suitable lubricant) to the alcohol. It is also possible to make a diesel "gasohol" with up to 80% alcohol. Since alcohol and oil will not mix when water is present, both the alcohol and the oil must be anhydrous. Different engines may also require adjustment of the metering pump for optimum performance. Diesel engines, especially turbocharged diesels, may also be run with an alcohol/water injection system as described later."

IN FACT BRAZIL has done it.. by the way. Look at brazil its a brilliant example

also look at the rate of deforestation in Brazil to keep up with it.

We can not grow sugar cane in most of the USA which leaves us with Corn based Ethanol which is immensely inefficient to produce. Corn based ethanol requires more energy to process than it gives off by some research.

link

Ethanol/Biomass has a place but in the USA we need to figure out a alternate crop that is more energy efficient or breed/engineer a better plant for ethanol fuel.

Wear a condom and you'll save enough carbon as like 3 coal rollers.

1 Like