Car politics: "coal rollers," "Prius people," & the middle-man

actually reducing fish and poultry are actually things that need to be done. Our oceans are in crisis, we have and continue to plunder daily.

And yet I need to get my protein in more than just nuts and tofu. I'm still going to buy these things, because any alternative I've come across is unrealistic for me (anaphylactic allergies, finances, etc).

I'm not saying you're wrong, mind you, but I'm not going to remove or reduce the amount or fish and poultry I consume or switch to more expensive varieties. I already pay a premium on a tight budget for ground turkey for things like meatloaf, pasta sauce, burgers.

And I'm still going to drive my I6 Jeep as I mentioned above.

Does this mean I don't care for the environment? No. We just have to be realistic. For me, that means things over time like buying and housing chickens for the eggs I eat (probably not enough space to raise them for meat), growing my own vegetables, installing solar panels.

To turn it around, can you realistically afford to not eat red meat, fish, and poultry? The alternatives are quite expensive, and your body needs protein no matter your gender.

The thing is we will destroy the planet unless we change, we can't afford not to.

In response to your assertion of costs, you're dead wrong. many plant based sources of good protein and extremely cheap. quinoa is a complete protein (all essential amino acids) and extremely cheap compared to meat. Mixing rice and beans also provides all essential amino acids and are extremely cheap.

again, not saying we need to go vegan, but we do need to decrease amount of meat we eat.

I am suggesting change. Reasonable change. A little is more than nothing.

1 Like

Bison is an easy analog for beef there used to be at least 20 to 50 million of them in the US alone. The animal is sustainable via open range. It happened in nature.

Some of the people talking about getting rid of gasoline/diesel don't stop to think we don't have a good way to transport freight over land with out it.

Not to mention range issues for rural populations that come with electric vehicles.

I drive a Jeep Liberty Renegade, and I feel the same way about my car. I absolutely LOVE the vehicle, and it has enabled so many off-road adventures and camping trips that a Hybrid vehicle simply couldn't. I feel like regulations should be in place (and there are currently already plenty of them) but forcing people to give up their gas powered vehicles when electric vehicles aren't ready technologically and are prohibitively expensive, is a little ignorant.

2 Likes

If someone designs a reasonably priced electric off-road vehicle with proper 4WD and at least 350 miles of range, I would be all game.

Some people in this thread assumed I would force people to use electric cars but heck if we went back to horse and buggy I wouldn't even mind. This idea that we have to move forward with everything is capitalistic bull crap. The world can be a fine place without fast, dirty travel. Also with all the technological advances why is it that the majority of the world isn't clearly happier now? Sorry but our resources need to be spent on more important things/things that are not detrimental to the environment instead of creating stuff to line rich people's wallets. Die commerce die.

Bingo.

1 Like

I agree that we should always be searching the next biggest leap in technology that can surpass what we have. But, I also strongly believe that we need to integrate proven technology that works better than what we are stuck with as a consumer, just because of some money mongering corporate asshats.

In all honesty, Diesel Electric generators are the here and now. We have the technology to give people vehicles that operate 140 MPG with just a 20 gallon Diesel tank, a Li-ion battery bank, and a powerful DC electric traction motor with gearbox. This technology would cut how much money people spend on fuel per year by an astronomical degree. Why it won't happen with the current state of Economic Politics? Corporate political buying power. The oil corporations won't allow it and the automotive manufacturers have to play nice to their oil producing masters.

1 Like

My point with bringing up animal agriculture is that even if every single gas or diesel vehicle is taken off the road there is still a lot of pollution and cars aren't the biggest problem by far. If you're serious about helping the environment have a vegetarian meal once a week? honestly vehicles aren't the enemy.

I love horses ☺

1 Like

Sure, both things walk toghether. But if the "higher powers" do not hallow it, we're screwed and there's nothing we can do about it. Unfortunately the world is ruled by those few who own the most part of wealth and they decide what we can and can't do sometimes, like in this case.

I drove a 1991 toyota 4Runner that got 7mpg and had a leaky gas tank for 2 years. I'm probably not an environmentalist. it also leaked power steering fluid. And I have the stain on the street in front of my house to prove it lol.

twas a beast she was, a leaky beast.

dat ground clearance tho

1 Like

What about the massive gas burning vehicles that harvest crops? Are you taking those into account?

I average around 18MPG, which almost makes me an environmentalist in comparison. Nice truck by the way.

2 Likes

huh? I'm not sure what you're asking. No, it doesn't help if commercial tractors are converted to electric either. They aren't the problem. Maybe you should do some reading on where greenhouse gases come from, which ones from where, and which sources are the biggest problems. Harvesting equipment isn't it. ? Were you trying to insinuate that eating vegetables is bad for the environment because of how they're harvested? If so, laughable attempt.

ROFLMAO - Oh boy... "massive gas burning vehicles that harvest crops"

Here we go. Like I said, NO vehicles aren't the problem. I bet you get angry when it gets mentioned that you might have to eat less meat eh? One of those... ffs.

"More alarming is that the agricultural sector was responsible for emitting 6.3% of the total amount of US GHG emissions in 2009—a distressing 413 teragrams of carbon dioxide equivalents (CO2e; USEPA 2012)."

http://bioscience.oxfordjournals.org/content/63/4/263.full

I eat a blend of meat and vegetables dude. Are you saying I should cut out meat entirely?

Except that the idea of 'clean diesel' is a lie perpetrated by big oil and car companies. Look at what has happened in Europe in the past 30 years with cars moving to diesel. Particulate and Nitrous pollution is the highest in the developed world in many cities. Diesel isn't clean, never will be. Diesel will fade out with the rest of the fossil fuels.