Capture card for DVR from Satellite and other sources

First post here, so I apologize if this is not the right section or answered already as I did try to search the forum first.

I am going to be setting up a Plex server again (eventually want an “end of the world” server as has been talked about) and I almost have it all figured out except for how I can get my satellite signal to my Plex server and use it as DVR. I know they used to use cable tuner cards for this, but I understand this is no longer an option. I am wondering if anyone has done this before and what they used? Could I use something as simple as a USB HDMI capture card? Currently I am not planning on game capture / streaming, but I have not ruled it out. If I were though that would be from my gaming rig.

Some basic Specs

Server:
Dell PowerEdge T430 (Plex server / storage will be here)

Media Center PC:
Ryzen 1800x
16GB RAM
1080 TI ( finally picked up a 3080 TI FTW Ultra! So this got passed down)

Satellite source:
Dish Network Wally

• no other option without spending thousands for new satellite setup as I have been living the RV life the last 4 years

If there are networked options I do run a full Unifi network including POE

I appreciate anyone’s input

Besides cracking a Satellite box, this is the best that I could think of.

The other way is to use something like LIRC with an IR blaster, an HDMI capture card, and a script or something that hooks into the scheduler of PLEX. I have not seen any DVB cards that work with paid channels since the early 2000s.

2 Likes

@Mastic_Warrior Thank you for that reply. I actually looked at that video and was thinking that may be one of the only ways to go. If I am ok with manually tuning the satellite box, do you know of any internal video capture card that I could maybe pass in an HDMI or Component that will capture whatever comes across?

It’s not a big deal if I cannot setup DVR with my satellite box. Just trying to find a good way to get some of the shows I like to watch offline for personal use. I am currently in an area where internet can go down for a bit, or come to a crawl. I am trying to look into capture software for either capturing an app / window or full screen as well if you have any suggestions there it would be appreciated!

Thanks again!

It’s usually more work than its worth and there doesn’t seem to be any support for nagravision 3 for reading cards which is what Dish apparently uses.

You might be able to capture some channels with HDMI capture card but a lot of content has copy protection so you wouldnt get a signal that can be copeid.

@TheRoamingTech, I know what I am going to suggest is not what you’re looking for, but I don’t think you will be able to capture any channels because everything is encrypted today. What I do is I get all my television from my Internet Service Provider, they have an app (which I have downloaded to my smart tv) for all the programming they provide, and I rent a software DVR (which allows me to store 600 hours of programming) You might want to look into and see if your IPS offers similar services.

2 Likes

There are some devices on Ali Express that will do that but their legality in your region may be questionable.
ETAPrime also did a review of an android box that has an HDMI in and it will actually capture anything that it receives as input. you can also record to file from Android directly.

I cut the cord back in 2008 and resorted to either using streaming services or buying physical media of the stuff that I like.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the input. I have a lot of media in my collection im painstakingly trying to rip again. Got more than half of it done and … well… I must have been drinking too much the night I built that old raid. It was striping only… no parity :frowning: and lost everything awhile back.

I have been using streaming services almost entirely for years, only got the satallite because my parents have one with Dish. Dish has an add on for 7 bucks a month for travelers / camping and i live in an RV, so I added it and get all their channels, but no DVR.

I have been stream hopping for awhile, but you have to have all of them today. The others are all becoming one and like the big cable companies and as expensive as just getting cable. I used to grab over the air when i was in Chicago where they had lots of channels and clear signal. However now i live in basically a hollar in rural far East TN where if im lucky i can get 5 channels clearly, all but one is garbage.

The quest continues!

Remember raid is not a backup, if you have a large collection two copies are worth the cost due to hours to recreate the copies.

1 Like

Oh of course! It was more a perfect storm (and lapse in judgement) with this and being in the middle of switching backups but took too long and let the one lapse before deploying the other. Had I at least had a RAID 5 with only one disk failing I would have had a significant chance to rebuild that disk. You live, and you learn!

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.