Canvas framing

Hey...
I have done some impulse shopping some time ago... Long story - short, I have a painting (canvas), that I need to frame. Somehow. I have the fabric, the canvas, and I need to somehow put it on the wall...
The painting I got for 3,5 Euro. The basic framing will cost me about 22-23 Euro...
What can I use for "amateurish" framing? I'm thinking of some chipboard or something...
I don't have any available tools or materials, so is there even a way, or should I just buy the framing?

Go to a thrift store run by a missionary group or church type organization. Go look at the pictures and paintings for sale...or rather look at the frames. Buy one of the right size and use it. locally we have "Bibles for Missions", "The Salvation Army", and "Value Village".

1 Like

Honestly, I am thinking about getting a few cardboard boxes and just cut the proper size corrugated cardboard pieces...

1 Like

For this thing?

Even the "professional" frames for wrapped canvas just have the prints folded around the edges of a frame and stapled to the back.

If you have a local hardware or home improvement store (Homemax?) you might be able to get them to cut some chipboard/MDF/plywood to size.

Or just use some cardboard like you said.

1 Like

I was assuming you were talking about a picture frame around the outside of the picture. It seems you were talking about stretching the canvas over a frame. I'm not sure why you couldn't get some plywood or osb and staple it. Every canvas I've seen is stretched over a 1"x2" rectangular perimeter frame, and must assume there is a reason? Perhaps because it's more stable longterm?

Well, it was 3,60€ canvas only and 36 and a change for framed... I rather improvise the frame...

Well, I have some awesome pictures that I would love to frame myself. I’m looking for something a bit more professional though. What do you suggest?

2 things…

1. This thread is from 2017…
  2. I still haven’t framed those pictures… They are still rolled in a corner of the room over there…