Can't launch gnome-control-center (i3 on Solus)

I have a Solus install on my machine that I orginally had gnome on. I then installed i3, which is great and all but I really want a settings manager that isolates everything into 1 place. Yesterday I was able to launch gnome-settings-manager, but today I get this error:

(process:6930): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 12:05:48.211: gtk_style_context_add_provider_for_screen: assertion ‘GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)’ failed

(gnome-control-center:6930): display-cc-panel-WARNING **: 12:05:48.367: no sunset data, using 16.00

(gnome-control-center:6930): display-cc-panel-WARNING **: 12:05:48.368: no sunrise data, using 8.00

which is immediately followed by a segfault. What exactly have I screwed up? Thanks!

Turn off the auto light/dark sunrise/set plugin.

The error says there is no set data. So you need to enable location services or set one, or turn it off.

Those are warnings, and see how it says “using 8.00”? It’s falling back to a default.

The critical would be what I’m more concerned with. I’m not familiar enough with gdk to say what that assertation failure means though.

Thanks, I can’t really figure out how to do this. Sorry, I’m pretty clueless.

This person gets the same critical error when they press the shutdown button.

https://discuss.getsol.us/d/4327-power-button-action-shutdown/11

So if the OP is getting that and then errors about a plugin I think its safe to couple those together at least for an initial troubleshooting.

@agh-help try this https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-help/stable/display-brightness.html.en

See if it’s set to auto and that the auto refers to a location service which is not defined.

So the problem with Gnome and GTK is that errors often come in out of order and a lot of times, problems don’t error out. :confused:

Basically it’s a mess.

I’m inclined to recommend just using the XFCE control panel, but that doesn’t really fix the problem.

See, Gnome applications rely on a full, fat DE running to operate properly. Gnome Settings, especially. By running i3, you’re specifically not using those features, so it’s very easy to run into problems.

XFCE, to my knowledge, doesn’t suffer this problem.

It turns out I had much bigger issues (couldn’t get x to start, eventually couldn’t boot). I have no idea if they were related to this; I ended up reinstalling, I’ll definitely try the XFCE control panel instead. Thanks so much!

1 Like

If that’s the case, you might want to check your disk to make sure it’s not going bad.

1 Like