Cant install steamcmd (license agreement declined)

I’ve accidentally declined the license agreement when trying to install it but I can’t figure out how to agree with it. I’ve searched all over the internet but it either didn’t work or it isn’t related.

1 Like

Check in your home directory for the config file that stores the agreement. There has to be a file somewhere to determine whether you agreed to it already.

Typically it should be in ~/.config or ~/.steam somewhere. If you can’t find it, do find . -name "*steam*" in your home and you should find it.

1 Like

Have you tried to

sudo apt purge steamcmd

then reinstall?

(Presuming no games have been downloaded yet)

Unless the config (or games for that matter) is stored system wide (which I doubt because it’s a user agreement), purge wouldn’t do anything.
It’s worth a shot but I very much doubt it’ll do much.

It might not work, but the idea of Purge, rather than remove, is to remove configs and other stuff…

Finding the actual config, and setting accepted to on, would be a Best solution. If my way worked, might just be easier/quicker

I know what it does, my point was that if the user agreement bool is stored in the users home directory, purge won’t do anything because purge doesn’t touch the home directories.

Okay, I just tried installing steamcmd, and the EULA question pops up during initial install.

I declined, and it looked like it was finishing the install, but it didn’t.

So I ran the install again, and it asked the EULA question again.

It might be just a case of reinstalling

(For me, on Ubuntu mate console, I don’t have Fedora running ATM)

1 Like