Can't install proprietary Nvidia drivers [Kubuntu 18.10/kernel 4.18.16-acso]

Hey all, I can’t seem to install any nvidia drivers after following the process in this forum post

Here is the output of apt install nvidia-driver-410

https://pastebin.com/NjzpU27t

sudo apt --fix-broken install outputs this

Expand

sudo apt --fix-broken install
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
Correcting dependencies… Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
libnvidia-common-390 libwayland-client0:i386
libwayland-server0:i386
Use ‘sudo apt autoremove’ to remove them.
The following additional packages will be installed:
libnvidia-gl-410 libnvidia-gl-410:i386
The following NEW packages will be installed:
libnvidia-gl-410 libnvidia-gl-410:i386
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
19 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/47.9 MB of archives.
After this operation, 216 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database … 261151 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack …/libnvidia-gl-410_410.66-0ubuntu0~gpu18.10.1_i386.deb …
diversion of /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1 to /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1.distrib by nvidia-340
dpkg-divert: error: mismatch on package
when removing ‘diversion of /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1 by libnvidia-gl-410’
found ‘diversion of /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1 to /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1.distrib by nvidia-340’
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/libnvidia-gl-410_410.66-0ubuntu0~gpu18.10.1_i386.deb (–unpack):
new libnvidia-gl-410:i386 package pre-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 2
Preparing to unpack …/libnvidia-gl-410_410.66-0ubuntu0~gpu18.10.1_amd64.deb …
diversion of /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1 to /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1.distrib by nvidia-340
dpkg-divert: error: mismatch on package
when removing ‘diversion of /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1 by libnvidia-gl-410’
found ‘diversion of /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1 to /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1.distrib by nvidia-340’
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/libnvidia-gl-410_410.66-0ubuntu0~gpu18.10.1_amd64.deb (–unpack):
new libnvidia-gl-410:amd64 package pre-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 2
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/libnvidia-gl-410_410.66-0ubuntu0~gpu18.10.1_i386.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/libnvidia-gl-410_410.66-0ubuntu0~gpu18.10.1_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

How can I fix this issue so I can get proprietary drivers again?

Many thanks!

Are you using 32bit? Or do they just install by default I havent used an nvidia on linux in a very long time.

I dont know how to help you but I wanted to say, rather than use spoiler, use hide details. I think that was what you were going for in your post but its not that clear how they work.

I’m using 64 bit. The proprietary drivers I install using sudo apt install nvidia-driver-410, its the nouveau driver that installs by default.

Ah! That is what I was looking for. I didn’t see that, I’ll edit my post so that its easier to navigate.

1 Like

Does the blackbox method not work?

sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall

There is also the PPA, which has 410 now.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa && sudo apt update

sudo apt install nvidia-410

2 Likes

I am using the ppa, and I install using sudo apt install nvidia-driver-410 and it installs most of the dependencies and then throws an error. I believe the terminal output i posted shows exactly what happens. I removed all dependencies and tried the blackbox method but it doesn’t work either.

Try LC_MESSAGES=C dpkg-divert --list '*nvidia-410*' | sed -nre 's/^diversion of (.*) to .*/\1/p' | xargs -rd'\n' -n1 -- sudo dpkg-divert --remove sudo apt --fix-broken install

I tried this and it didn’t give any feedback in the terminal, and after trying sudo apt install nvidia-driver-410 it still doesn’t work and neither does sudo apt --fix-broken install. is there something else I’m supposed to do after entering this?

Just replying now because I only just received my replacement motherboard late last week and spent the weekend setting it up. I posted a reply that may help on your original thread here

try using the compile script mdPlusPlus created and posted to github.

It will patch and compile the latest kernel for you. Compiling the kernel seems to be the best option if using nvidia on the host (I installed the nvidia drivers before doing the kernel patch). It seems like there is a bug in the pre-compiled kernels or that they are hardware specific. So maybe they were created with AMD gpus intended for host and another AMD/nvidia for the guest.
It fixed the issue for me

May have to go through all this acs patching thing again once I put my new workstation together and replace this DDR2 RAM system from 2006.