Can't build Looking Glass Client on Linux Mint 21 (running on PVE 7.x)

Hello there!

I have been running into an annoying issue trying to build the looking glass client following the instructions at Building — Looking Glass B5.0.1 documentation.

Whenever I try to cmake I get the error output

-- BFD libs: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libbfd.so
-- BFD libs: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libbfd.so
-- Using awk: /usr/bin/gawk
-- Checking for module 'libpipewire-0.3'
--   No package 'libpipewire-0.3' found
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-3.22/Modules/FindPkgConfig.cmake:603 (message):
  A required package was not found
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /usr/share/cmake-3.22/Modules/FindPkgConfig.cmake:825 (_pkg_check_modules_internal)
  audiodevs/PipeWire/CMakeLists.txt:5 (pkg_check_modules)

This happens with all new version including the git clone as of today.
I am running Linux Mint 21 with kernel 5.15.0-52-generic #58-Ubuntu SMP Thu Oct 13 08:03:55 UTC 2022 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Greetings

goldsteal

The error is pretty self-explanatory. you’re missing the libpipewire-0.3 package.

Sure. But I have pipewire installed and I would like to know how to fix it. I guess it’s again one of those “your distro is not shipping the 32bit binary as well” things, but I have no idea how to fix that without bricking half of the system in the process.

So any pointers would be helpful. The error exists in all my Linux Mint 21 instances (bare metal or virtualized) so I guess any feedback from Linux Mint 21 users who successfully compiled Looking Glass in recent weeks would be especially helpful.

Cheers & thx

goldsteal

You guess wrong.

@Netboy3 stated exactly what the issue was, you did not install the build dependencies for your distro. In this case, you have not installed the development headers for libpipewire.

2 Likes

Nevemind then. I don’t now exactly what I did different now but it turns out @Netboy3 seems to have been correct. Probably had a typo somewhere in the apt install line? Can be closed.

Btw.: I was missing libpipewire-0.3 pulse and samplerate,
consequently I had to install the following headers:
libpipewire-0.3-dev libpulse-dev libsamplerate-dev
by executing
sudo apt install libpipewire-0.3-dev libpulse-dev libsamplerate-dev