Cannot Mount TrueNAS SCALE Share as Steam Folder

Hi All,

Been dailying ubuntu on a rescued laptop and have started feeling almost more comfortable in it than windows so installed on my main machine. I used to mostly use the PC for gaming, and am finally taking the plunge after my wifi drivers decided life wasn’t worth it on windows. I was pleasantly unsurprised when Ubuntu picked up the card without me even saying the word.

I have started to encounter a little jank, first when I tried to use the snap store to install steam (this seems to be an agreed L), and then secondly during my main issue;

I’m trying to install to a TrueNAS share (smb) and while my access is okay, Steam seems to refuse to accept it as an option with no error (it just doesn’t get added to the list). This seemed like something others have to had run into before… I’m going to see if there’s some way to trick the thing into working but y’all seemed like the right crowd to ask.

B’yahoo!
CHB

Steam will block a network share As a rule but you can work around it

The best option is to use iSCSI as a method of mounting the whole drive. If that is too disruptive then try mounting the share through fstab to a dedicated mount point and then set your steam folder to that folder location

There are guides for both online but be careful if you mess up with fstab your laptop won’t boot. Make sure you back it up first

Good luci

Thank you kindly, I think I saw something about iSCSI in TrueNAS and have GPT so will try and bang my way through…

Checking this page too at the moment - figured it had to be something to do with mounts.
linode /docs/guides/linux-mount-smb-share/

snap (which you already said you decided not to use) doesn’t tolerate accessing files outside of home.

https://askubuntu.com/a/1033617

You can trick it with bind mounts (except you’ll have to figure out what steam dir to do that with exactly). It’d most likely be the same solution with steam itself (though I tricked steam with iscsi instead, for different reasons).

There are reasons to use snap, it may be to consider using the snap package and fix that, as that’s what they’re wanting to set up with for the long term.