Can you have high refresh rate over USB type-c?

I have a Gigabyte M34WQ kvm monitor and a Beelink GTR7 connected via type-c.

Windows only has the option for 60Hz for refresh rate. Previously I had a similar setup with Windows Devkit 2023, which also only supported 60Hz over type-c.

Is this a type-c limitation? I’d be ok if it went up to 90-100Hz even, don’t need the 144Hz really.

I’ve got a 120 hz portable USB display, so it’s definitely possible.

Does the device your plugging into support
Dp alt mode? AFAIK that’s what it takes.

1 Like

I’m currently using a LG C1 OLED at 4k@120Hz with a USB-C → HDMI cable, and it works fine. As long as both your monitor and your iGPU support DP1.4, it shouldn’t have any issues with 3440x1440@144Hz.

Oooooooooooooooooo thanks everyone for your confirmation!

For the Google SEO results: Gigabyte M34WQ high refresh rate over type-c connection and possibly similar models from Gigabyte.
I looked at the monitor settings and under System → Other Settings → Type-C Compatibility should be switched to OFF (mine was ON). Then the screen re-initialized and now I have 144Hz available in Windows!

3 Likes

you should check if this 144hz is under 8bit color depth. I have a 1440p ultrawide on thunderbolt. and it supports 120hz with 8bit or 144hz with 6bit. I have it always set to 120z because 262.000 colors is not enough.
you can see it by going to advanced display settings.

It is indeed 8-bit depth @ 144Hz

ah you are in 4-2-2 chroma. which is a way of saving bandwidth by having less color information. In my picture you can see it says RGB.

4-2-2 chroma means that instead of each pixel having their own color. sets of 2 pixels get the same color (and a separate lumance).

This is not really an issue for movies or some games. But it does make text go a little more blurry.

You can try the difference by setting it to RGB and you probably have to go to 120hz to get 8bit depth.