Can WIX really not host a god damn static file for download?

Maybe somebody here has already used wix. This seems trivial. But I also didn’t really find anything when looking it. up. People just show you how to upload images or videos or what not.

Here’s the deal. Personally, I have never touched wix. However, a friend of my parents started to build a new website for their company. She started making the website in wix.com. Honestly, what the website is developed in isn’t really a concern for them it should work and bring customers. So things like advertisement (not external ads… promoting the website in some way so that people show up) are more important to them than the other things and apparently she can do that somehow. That part seems to already work out for them and the website isn’t even officially deployed on their domain.

I frankly have jack sh*t of an idea how even google search works (how you get to be #1 result for xyz) and am not entierly motivated to build this website on the side for a family discount while having a full time job. So I let her do her thing. She wants to do it… So that’s great.

Now, they also are getting a new logo and new business cards. The business card is supposed to have a QR code which is suposed to contain an url to a file with detailed contact information, location and the aforementioned logo (so you can quickly add it without typing anything). It may be possible to embed this into the QR code (although not sure with the image and such and you can’t ever change anything then so… seems like a good plan in theory).

Either way I sent the file to that woman and she replied that that file format is not supported on wix.com.

Im a bit puzzled by this can you really not just host arbitrary files on wix?! It does not need to understand the file type just return the damn thing as is without asking questions about it.

Ofc, I can just host it somewhere else. Its a very simple job. Though that is also a bit silly to have a seperate thing that you (probably pay for) for single file. I could also just throw it on dropbox or something. But imo that’s a bit awkward and it seems better to me to print mydomain.com/somefile into the qrcode rather that dropbox.com/some_hash_that_hopefully_never_changes. And then probably it needs to be a subdomain, because … well wix. Im not reverse proxying wix.com to add a file. That’s redicolous. But, yes the thought crossed my mind for a second. And then was proceeded by… ‘NO THANK YOU VERY MUCH’.

Most likely if wix.com does actually really not support that. We’re just gonna force the contact information into the QR code and if it has to shrink. Shrink it shall…

1 Like

I get that wix might not want to host files, even if that is odd, but if that is the limitations, why not just make an “site.com/about” page?

Or is the file format in a mobile friendly .contact file, or whatever phones use?

Because I would NOT suggest people encourage their customers’ to download random files from QR codes, even if the source is trusted…

2 Likes

Yes, it is. Essentially, if you where to wget it it has to return the plain file without html.

When you open the file on a phone it asks you if you want to add it as a contact without further action. If you added html you’d land on a page.

The file format is .vcf if you’re curious.

2 Likes

Okay, fair play.

If it was an actual customer, might be worth emailing Wix, but as it’s a mate-rate/freebie/waste of your time to begin with, I sympathise at what you already lost, and the further loss of time, energy and enthusiasm…

It’s not a traditional hosting service. It’s for easy drag-and-drop web design. It’s intentionally limited.

1 Like

If there’s a setting somewhere that lets you set allowed file types for upload, then maybe you can add .vcf to that. Otherwise, yeah you’re probably hosed.

This is why I prefer developing within cpanel. I know boomers use it, but I’ve never encountered a limitation and security updates are pushed for it regularly.