Can Windows 11 or Win Server Create Parity Disks? [Windows Based Unraid-Like]

Hello,

Basically I been on windows since 3.11 and prefer to get a windows based solution than using unraid.

I have ex-Chia PC with 300Tb of storage that i want to turn into Unraid,
I liked the Idea of Parity Drives, like using just 1-2 HDD’s for parity protection, and pool otehr hdds into one volume for my crap, plus add an SSD or SSD’s for caching to get faster speeds.

Basically, is it possible do to something like this on Windows? using windows storage space or whatever its called or maybe there is a program that can do what Unraid does [im only looking here at the HDD parity protection no need for virtualization or anything else]

Thanks

You mean like this?

Storage spaces is fine, I had no significant problems before I switched to a dedicated NAS. It worked fine when moving disks between computers too - just plugging to random SATA ports worked.

I would caution you however that Microsoft can decide at any point to remove features on a whim. For example Windows 10 Pro had support for ReFS but dropped it after some update. Now you can only have that on enterprise and Windows server. It’s a lot of fun when they do that and I specifically paid for Pro license to have BitLocker and ReFS.

AFAIK all Win10 versions can access/read ReFS, but only Win10 Enterprise and MS Server19 can create/host them.

1 Like

There is a registry trick that let you format with Refs

1 Like

Dayum

In my experience windows software raid was not pleasant

I’m one of the most bone headed windows user there is, and I have to say trunas/freenas is the way to go

Yeah, but I’m not going to go trough installing another OS just to format the damn disk.

I didn’t know that, but still - I wonder how long will that work?

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.