Can the USB-C Combiner work with a TB4 docking station?

TL/DR: Can I expect the USB-C Combiner to work as input for a Thunderbolt 4 docking station?

I’m happily using a TB 4 docking station (www.caldigit DOT com/thunderbolt-station-4/) with my Macbook and Apple Studio Display + additional peripheries (mouse, keyboard, audio…).

But I also have an older Macbook with display port mini and a Windows desktop with Nvidia graphics card, that I’ve also been using via display port with another monitor. In fact, for those two machines I’ve been using a mini display port KVM switch (www.startech DOT com/en-de/server-management/sv231mdpu2). This setup has been working well for me for many years.

My question: Can I expect that your USB-C Combiner (www.store.level1techs DOT com/products/p/dp-repeater-hdmi-splitter-6sha9-yznx5-zm58w) would allow me to connect my old macbook and my Windows desktop to the TB4 docking station and thus drive the Studio Display + peripherals? I’m not sure if the USB-C output of the USB-C Combiner can function as input to the TB4 dock.

I would already be happy if this would work for the old macbook and desktop individually, but it would be even better if that would also work via the mini display port KVM switch. I.e., I would connect the old macbook and desktop to the KVM switch, which in turn is connected to the USB-Combiner, which goes into the TB4 dock to eventually drive the display / peripherals. Any chance of this working?

@wendell

Thunderbolt input? What? No?

The combiner is not tbunderbolt.

Thanks for your reply. I understand the combiner is not Thunderbolt 4, but USB-C. However, Thunderbolt 4 uses the same connector and TB 4 devices (i.e. my docking station) should be compatible with USB 3. To my understanding, TB 4 is essentially USB 3 with some additional guarantees on maximum data rate etc.

So in principle it should work. But I take the reply to mean that no statement can be made as to whether it would actually work in practice.

Form Intel’s page on TB4 vs USB (www.intel DOT com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/thunderbolt/thunderbolt-4-vs-usb-c.html):

Cross-Compatibility Between Thunderbolt™ and USB

Various USB standards, including USB 3.2 and USB4, also use the USB-C connector type, and these cables and ports are cross-compatible with Thunderbolt™ 4. When devices with different capabilities are connected, the connection will only support the lowest common data rate. For example, you can plug a USB 3.2 cable into a Thunderbolt™ 4 port, and the port will negotiate data, power, and video signal capabilities with the connected device at a USB 3.2 level.