Can The M.2 NVME Slots On The ASUS Pro WS WRX80E Only Be Used For Storage

Hello,

I wished to purchase the ASUS Pro WS WRX80E for a Threadripper Pro (3995WX) workstation build, and wanted to purchase an M.2 to PCIe riser card to add an additional PCIe 3.0 x4 slot to the motherboard.

However, I heard from a system builder that the M.2 slots on the Asus can only be used for storage (not for PCIe cards when using a PCIe riser).

Does anyone know if this is true?

Thank you,
Nelson

No personal experience with the MB. But based on the manual I would surmise it’s due to the location of the M.2 slots more than the lack of functionality.

Source:

You might be able to leverage the U.2 ports with an adapter such as this:

Definitely double check these are the right U.2 connectors (SFF-8643)

Disclaimer again, I’ve not used either the motherboard nor the adapter so cannot confirm functionality. YMMV!

I have dealt with the brand Micro SATA Cables before with other products and they have been solid. They tend to have a lot of boutique cables/adapters.

I am curious, there are a lot of x16 slots on the board. Will you be consuming/blocking every x16 slot and still need the additional x4 adapter from the M.2/U.2?

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.