Can someone recommend a Thermal paste?

Needing to redo a few older PCs wondering about a cheap thermal paste don’t need anything fancy and I want enough to do 10+ so I don’t run out. I don’t remember what we used to use and that was years ago. Surely they have something suitable on Amazon.

$12 for 20g, that should be good for 40+ laptops.

6 Likes

I will throw in my recommendation for Arctic MX-4 for being an all around decent paste not only for CPU applications but GPU, bare CPU dies, or areas close to SMD components as it is non-conductive and wont short.
20g tube for $12 Amazon:

45g tube for $21 Amazon:

4 Likes

If you need an alternative, this stuff spreads really easy, but I would still go for the MX-4 if possible.

1 Like

I’ve always just bought Noctua paste. Seems to work just fine, and I haven’t had to ever replace it for going old.

I use carbon pads on my own computers, but that’s just autism.

3 Likes

Any zinc oxide based thermal paste you can get from a local electronics store. These do not dry out and have been (and still are) used in high power applications for over 100 years now before all these “Premium” pastes came out.

While I do ack that the modern “performance” pastes are better thermally, the difference is marginal at best and IMO it’s not worth compromising on a tried and tested industry standard that doesn’t suffer issues with drying out.

If you’re having issues with temperatures, you will get a better result if you increase the T-Delta (bigger heatsink/more airflow/water cooling, etc) before you bother with “better” pastes.

Ie: Heatsink Compound - Syringe - 50g | Jaycar Electronics

$10.95 AUD for 50 grams, or ~$7USD

2 Likes

As said above they’re pretty much the same in terms of performance, since you need more than normal you probably want to for AS5 if you have price/performance in mind.

@gnif
That’s probably very similar to Cooler Master IceFusion goo which seems to have some interesting performance characteristics

not really mate. arctic mx-4 or tuniq tx-4 will do the job, but don’t need heat cycling or 200 hours to cure. which is the drawback of arctic silver 5.

Which isn’t an issue and also mentioned in the application instructions…

ok… then it costs more and isnt as good…

and yes im trying to dissuade him from as5… it was good 10 years ago…
its very much average now and relatively expensive compared to others.

3 Likes

Yep, like other’s have already said 1-2C difference is a lot…

it can be if your cooler isnt the best… :wink:

but seriously… as5 was decent back in the day, but things have moved on.
like i said my main gripe is during the 200 hour cure, your gonna be looking at 5+ c difference between application and completed cycling.
then after 18-24 months you gotta clean it off coz its gone gritty and starts loosing thermal conductivity.

the more modern pastes dont have these issues.

I used to use Artic Silver for the longest time. Have since tried IC diamond, which performed better, but was harder to spread and wasn’t guaranteed to spread very evenly. In the last few years I settled on Thermal Grizzley’s Kryonaut for most things and Conductonaut when I’m being hardcore. Kryonaut has performed for me within error range of IC diamond and a good 4-6C better than Artic Silver on the same (older) computer. Though it should be kept in mind that my test was not scientific in the slightest.

1 Like

In case it hasn’t been mentioned here, Arctic also has MX-6, newer than MX-4 and overall better from everything I’ve seen (still not conductive too).

Kryonaut is my paste of choice for my Threadripper 5970wx PRO. There are better performing liquid metals, but I don’t push my CPU that hard for very long and have an 360 AIO.

Don’t use gallium LM paste with aluminum heaksinks. Horror show.

I’ll just say, resist the urge the buy the giant tube. I only just finished my tube of AS5 from like 20 years ago. :rofl:

Wendell is a fan of this one:

Also Arctic MX-4 of course.

Here’s a 2023 article comparing several major brands with temperature image from the article. (Lower is better) The conductanaut is liquid metal which I do not use. Kryonaut has been top dog since I built my 1950X TR system.

(I have no affiliation to Thermal Grizzly, save buying their products.)

I’ve had good luck, with Arctic Silvers Ceramique [bigg tube is like 25g for ~15]