Can someone explain Amd cpu's naming scheme?

Hi

sry for the bad English ,

I just don’t understand how amd names works for cpu’s and Gpu’s

RX470<RX480. right ?
then next year they made
Rx570<RX580.

so they just changed 1 number to indicate new year generation cards ? 4 to 5 .

then XD I see Vega 56 and Vega 64 !!! what is going on .

the cpu’s omg I don’t know where to start from , but is there a picture like intel have

or at least can someone please make a picture with amd cpu’s equivalent to intel’s so I can understand .

Nvidia is simple to me I can understand and intel , but amd I can’t understand Gpu’s or cpu’s so I can’t tell what is newer or older or more powerful .

Vega 64 is like 1080~ competitor I got that
its like between 1080 to 1070 Ti if am not wrong
Vega 56 on the other hand I got no idea where its placed. (I know its less than 64)

amd cpu’s 1st gen ryzen and 2nd gen Lyzeen .
so first gen it starts with 1, second gen starts with 2.

On the CPU front, AMD uses a similar marketing scheme to establish their CPU tier. R3 (entry level) R5 (mainstream) R7 (performance) and Threadripper (high end). The first digit also designates the generation. So R5 1600 is the predecessor to the current R5 2600. And essentially the higher the remaining three digits the higher the performance.

Got a family function, I’ll have to fill in the GPU side when I get back if someone doesn’t already come in.

2 Likes

awesome I got it somehow

XD now Gpu’s because there are stuff that confuses me more in gpu’s
they changed it I think

used to be like R9 290
r7 xx
etc…

then rx 580 rx 570

then now Vega 56 Vega 64 =.=!

so I got the new stuff because they are recent and everywhere in media so I know what is higher but older stuff like the era of R 290x or before I have no idea

That is the amount of compute units they have.
The previous high-end cards were named Fury and Fury X.

nvidia also changes naming all the time, but anyway…

There used to be the HDxxxx series . After the architecture change they used the R7 for low end and R9 for performance cards.
Then they had another architecture change and started using the RX naming. They did continue the “generation counter” though.
So there was R9 2xx -> R9 3xx -> RX 4xx -> RX 5xx.
Vega is a completely new architecture from scratch (whereas the RX cards were an improved architecture of the R9 cards), so they dropped the previous naming scheme and just went with the amount of compute units for the naming.

Vega 56 is above the 1070, it was the reason why the 1070 Ti was introduced in the first place and why the 1070 Ti is overclocking locked (at least it was supposed to be, not sure how it is these days).
The Vega 64 is at or above 1080 level depending on workload, in some it is even on par with the 1080 Ti (L1 had a video on that on Linux).

Naming schemes from different companies don’t go well together for comparing performance anyway so the only thing that matters is the internal naming scheme in a company.

As for CPU Naming scheme:

For Threadripper there is also the W suffix specifically for Workstation targeted CPUs.

3 Likes

Yeah the GPU naming scheme has changed fairly often recently for AMD. Lately, their top tier cards have been named, like the Fury and the Vega cards. Think of them more like nVidia’s Titan cards. The midrange and lower tiers have standard naming schemes, so the first number is the generation (5 currently) and the next two numbers are the tier within the generation. So the 550<560<570<580

1 Like