Can I plug in my PC in an apartment with an older fuse box ?

Hello. I will be buying new apartment to live. But fuse box is older. Not the newest.

And my question. It will be fine to plug pc in this new apartment with that fuse box,i think it is aluminium,right?

PC WILL BE: Rtx 4090,14900K,1600W PSU

It looks like this ( pic from internet ). Can i plug in my pc with that one?

room:

Someone said this to me.

"I would get advice from a local electrician that you trust. Nobody here can tell you if the wiring / fuses / whatever in that apartment are safe for use with any given load.

This is particularly important seeing as you are buying the apartment. Never mind “can I use my gaming PC” - is it safe / do I need to budget for some electrical work would be higher in my thinking (impressed with your priorities though! [image])

You should be having an inspection done anyway before buying, which ought to include the electrical system, but presumably if the fuses and wiring are rated for the usual 15A/120V in the US (or whatever it is wherever you are) then it will support whatever normal stuff you plug in, just like anything with newer wiring. I’d definitely have a good UPS on important stuff, and surge suppressors on less important things.

So that’s towards the ragged edge of what a 15 amp circuit can carry if you hit the PSU maximums. Thankfully the 4090 isn’t as peaky as the Ampere generation cards, but the CPU is a big and constant power draw on that system. You probably need an electrician to ensure that not only are the fuses safe, but that you know how many circuits you have, how big they are and where they go. 1800w is probably a realistic maximum for not overloading a 15 amp circuit, so PC + monitor + speakers etc. is likely fine if you have a 15 amp circuit just for the computer area, but if you try putting another high wattage device on the same circuit-- like a microwave, heater, air conditioning, air fryer, etc. you’ll risk blowing the circuit and the fuse and that’s Not Good. Old places might even have 10 amp circuits and that’s also something you’d need to be very careful about.

If you can see problems like that in an old building, that may be the tip of the iceberg as in the early days of electrical hookups, they did a bad job of anticipating just how much the need for power in the future would be and you can run into strange situations where circuits are shared across places you might not expect. Hopefully it’s at least copper wire and the ground actually goes to ground…"

So plug pc on this apartment or look for other apartment?I living in Poland. Also i will be using on only pc and laptop. Other appliances like microwave not.

Yes, probably fine, BUT I would strongly recommend a UPS to help regulate the power use.

2 Likes

Right, one with a power conditioner might help a bit too.

1 Like

So nothing will happen when i plug pc to this apartment : ) ?

Nothing should happen, as long as your PSU supports the voltage in your country.

Again, still strongly recommend a UPS with power conditioning to smooth out any power spikes from the GPU or CPU.

A decent UPS costs a fraction of the value of a 4090 so no excuses, you obviously can afford it, or you cant afford a 4090.

1 Like

Last question. What will be better choice. That apartment with older fuses or that one but with newest electrics and fuses .
But here is kitchen on the same room, so i will put pc at opposite of the room.
Screens:

TBH i would pick the house that is right for you and only factor in the electrical to the degree that it would cost to replace and update.

If you buy the older property you will need to have an Electrician quote the cost to update. Updating wiring is part of “normal” maintenance when buying older homes. Same with Radon, roofing, exterior water proofing, ect.

So buy that last one ( 2 pics ) with kitchen in the room but with new electrics and fuses?

Buy the one you want to live in, factor in the cost of updates to the decision.

I dont know what you need out of an apartment and the Electrical is only one factor in purchasing housing.

2 Likes

Heh just wanna plug and using. Its main factor. : )

it really should not be, buying property is a massive investment in a persons life unless your buying a 2nd house/apartment.

if all you need is power, then renting a furnished room, or hotel room might be a better value for you.