Can I force Windows 10 to not move my windows when I use my L1KVM?

Can I force Windows 10 to not move my windows when I use my L1KVM? When I switch computers with my kvm, windows interprets this as the monitor disconnecting and moves all of my windows to my primary display, so when I switch back, I need to move and resize all of the windows I want to use.

This article says it will be fixed soon with windows update Microsoft is finally fixing Windows 10 rearranging apps on multiple monitors - The Verge

and not ant answer, but windows 11 works great with l1kvm switch, all apps windows returns to where they were left

1 Like

some software utilities like GitHub - kangyu-california/PersistentWindows: fork of http://www.ninjacrab.com/persistent-windows/ with windows 10 update also mostly fix it if you don’t have windows 11’s built-in fix

its so stupid this exists in the first place. The reason? gfx card makers are worried about people using gaming gpus in the datacetner.

1 Like

If you’re using just one monitor you could buy a dummy adapter that mirrors your monitor so that, when disconnecting, evreything stays in place.

Thanks for the replies everyone. PersistentWindows appears to be doing the trick, for now.

This is infuriating. I wish companies would just make things better fit for purpose, instead of intentionally gimping their products so we use them exactly like they want us to use them. NVIDIA and Intel are the biggest offenders (thanks for killing off ECC RAM for consumers, Intel). but they all do it to some degree.