Return to Level1Techs.com

Can I add NVMe to Dell Precision T7500? (NVMe-PCIe Adapter in old hardware)

I am trying to get a workstation going to run VMs and effectively use as a lab environment at work.

I have been able to get a hold of an old Dell Precision T7500 (https://i.dell.com/sites/csdocuments/Shared-Content_data-Sheets_Documents/en/uk/dell_precision_t7500_specsheet.pdf). it has two 6 core hyperthreading XEONs and 48Gb ram but the bottleneck is the HDD (IMHO) - it only has SATA 2 :(. (I can add a lot more RAM pretty cheap if that is needed in the future)

i would like to get something like this:

ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 PCIe 3.0 X4 Expansion Card V2

OR:
EZDIY-FAB PCI Express M.2 NGFF PCI-E SSD to PCIe 3.0 x4

My basic question is: will it work?

Some more vague questions:

• How can i tell if i will be able to use more than one drive in a single adapter (i have read that there can be issues with this)?
  • Am i likely to get anything close to the the stated throughput of PCIe (e.g. 4.0 GB/s for x8 on PCIe v2.0)?
  • I may try to use this machine for some machine learning muck abouts, does anyone have any comments on what to consider if i am thinking of sticking one or two GPUs in there too?
  • I know there is a good chance I wont be able to boot from it (fine with me so long as it hold my VMs) but how can i tell if this will work (is there a bios option or tech spec that tells me)?
  • Any hardware recommendations on adapters or super fast drives also welcome :smiley: !

Some additional info on the PCI slots in the machine: https://www.dell.com/community/Precision-Fixed-Workstations/Dell-Precision-T7500-PCI-slots-properties/td-p/7188369

Sorry for the vague questions, i am no expert on this stuff and i am mainly just trying to avoid wasting time and money on useless parts.

always depends on the chipset.

I’m using an old lenovo xeon workstation presently. The speeds are nothing to write home about but it will barely saturate 10gb ethernet. ~ 1.2 GBs throughput to a single 500gb 970 samsung evo nvme on a pcie adapter. That’s only the 4x3.0 pcie lane single nvme model . bios doesn’t support booting from it but linux mounts it just fine.

Thanks, did you just but any adapter? - or was there anything you looked for specifically to increase the chances of compatibility?