I am trying to get a workstation going to run VMs and effectively use as a lab environment at work.
I have been able to get a hold of an old Dell Precision T7500 (https://i.dell.com/sites/csdocuments/Shared-Content_data-Sheets_Documents/en/uk/dell_precision_t7500_specsheet.pdf). it has two 6 core hyperthreading XEONs and 48Gb ram but the bottleneck is the HDD (IMHO) - it only has SATA 2 :(. (I can add a lot more RAM pretty cheap if that is needed in the future)
i would like to get something like this:
ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 PCIe 3.0 X4 Expansion Card V2
EZDIY-FAB PCI Express M.2 NGFF PCI-E SSD to PCIe 3.0 x4
My basic question is: will it work?
Some more vague questions:
- How can i tell if i will be able to use more than one drive in a single adapter (i have read that there can be issues with this)?
- Am i likely to get anything close to the the stated throughput of PCIe (e.g. 4.0 GB/s for x8 on PCIe v2.0)?
- I may try to use this machine for some machine learning muck abouts, does anyone have any comments on what to consider if i am thinking of sticking one or two GPUs in there too?
- I know there is a good chance I wont be able to boot from it (fine with me so long as it hold my VMs) but how can i tell if this will work (is there a bios option or tech spec that tells me)?
- Any hardware recommendations on adapters or super fast drives also welcome !
Some additional info on the PCI slots in the machine: https://www.dell.com/community/Precision-Fixed-Workstations/Dell-Precision-T7500-PCI-slots-properties/td-p/7188369
Sorry for the vague questions, i am no expert on this stuff and i am mainly just trying to avoid wasting time and money on useless parts.