Can I add NVMe to Dell Precision T7500? (NVMe-PCIe Adapter in old hardware)

I am trying to get a workstation going to run VMs and effectively use as a lab environment at work.

I have been able to get a hold of an old Dell Precision T7500 (https://i.dell.com/sites/csdocuments/Shared-Content_data-Sheets_Documents/en/uk/dell_precision_t7500_specsheet.pdf). it has two 6 core hyperthreading XEONs and 48Gb ram but the bottleneck is the HDD (IMHO) - it only has SATA 2 :(. (I can add a lot more RAM pretty cheap if that is needed in the future)

i would like to get something like this:

ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 PCIe 3.0 X4 Expansion Card V2

OR:
EZDIY-FAB PCI Express M.2 NGFF PCI-E SSD to PCIe 3.0 x4

My basic question is: will it work?

Some more vague questions:

• How can i tell if i will be able to use more than one drive in a single adapter (i have read that there can be issues with this)?
  • Am i likely to get anything close to the the stated throughput of PCIe (e.g. 4.0 GB/s for x8 on PCIe v2.0)?
  • I may try to use this machine for some machine learning muck abouts, does anyone have any comments on what to consider if i am thinking of sticking one or two GPUs in there too?
  • I know there is a good chance I wont be able to boot from it (fine with me so long as it hold my VMs) but how can i tell if this will work (is there a bios option or tech spec that tells me)?
  • Any hardware recommendations on adapters or super fast drives also welcome :smiley: !

Some additional info on the PCI slots in the machine: https://www.dell.com/community/Precision-Fixed-Workstations/Dell-Precision-T7500-PCI-slots-properties/td-p/7188369

Sorry for the vague questions, i am no expert on this stuff and i am mainly just trying to avoid wasting time and money on useless parts.

always depends on the chipset.

I’m using an old lenovo xeon workstation presently. The speeds are nothing to write home about but it will barely saturate 10gb ethernet. ~ 1.2 GBs throughput to a single 500gb 970 samsung evo nvme on a pcie adapter. That’s only the 4x3.0 pcie lane single nvme model . bios doesn’t support booting from it but linux mounts it just fine.

Thanks, did you just but any adapter? - or was there anything you looked for specifically to increase the chances of compatibility?

In the end I bought:

• EZDIY-GFAB UK20-M.2 + heatsink
  • 1TB 970 Evo Plus

Sequential reads > 3000 MB / s
random read / write is not quite as high but it is still RAPID :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I realize this is an old question, but it won’t be the last time it’s asked. PCIe NVMe will not work in the T7500/5500/3500. If you can find a Kingston HyperX Predator PCIe SSD - it uses the PCI Express Gen 2.0 x 4 interface to deliver up to 1400MB/s read and 1000MB/s write with the Marvell 88SS9293 controller that has an onboard OROM, so you can boot from it. It’s an AHCI interface vs NVMe - so it’s not as fast as the best today, but it is faster than a single SATA SSD.

Kingston HyperX Predator PCIe SSD MLC SHPM2280P2H/480G with HHHL Adapter. Item Number:0D9-006V-00003

Honestly, I would not go down that path. I’ve used one and it’s great, but it’s expensive, non-standard, and a single point of failure.

A better option is to add HBA cards to upgrade the SATA 2 performance to SATA 3. Here are some options:

1. SiiG Sata 6gb/s 3i+1 SSD Hybrid PCIe Model: SC-SA0T11-S1 Unit: $90. PCIe 2.0 compatible. Provides 4 x SATA 3 ports for various SSD configurations. One SSD is mounted to the card, from there, you can go with RAID or tiered storage. I would go with RAID 10 so that you get 2 GB/s read and 1 GB/s write. That’s better than the HyperX.

2. Vantec 2 Channel 4-Port SATA 6 Gb/s PCIe Host Card, Model:UGT-ST622 Unit: $22.00. PCIe 2.0 compatible. Use this for your 7,200 RPM HDDs. You’ll get 250MB/s read & write with a non-RAID configuration.

3. Vantec 2-Port USB 3.1 Gen II Type A/C PCIe Controller Card, Model:UGT-PC371AC Unit: $22.00. This is to run backups and external storage - like NVMe SSDs in the enclosure below. This is PCIe 2.0 compatible and provides 10Gbps throughput.

4. CHOETECH M.2 NVME SSD Enclosure, Aluminum USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10 Gbps) to NVME PCI-E M-Key Solid State… $25.99. You’ll get 850MB/s read & write speeds. You can get another USB-C 3.1 v2 and use that for SATA 3 SSDs. You’ll get native SATA 3 throughput (550MB/s).

Dell T7500’s are great bargains and you can really beef them up with just a few $'s spent in the right places. It doesn’t make sense to invest in high-end graphic cards since you only have PCIe 2.0 lanes driving them. I have a little Radeon 460 OC and that runs my 4K monitor and 55" 4K TV just as cool as a cucumber. The max I would go is a GTX 1660Ti. These are the best bang for the buck and won’t turn into a flamethrower if you run some Tensorflow AI notebooks or Overwatch when you’re taking a break from architecting K8s clusters.

Good luck.
Dell T7500
Dual Xeon X5675
96GB DDR3 ECC RAM
HBA controllers listed above.
Gigabyte Radeon 460 4GB OC