Calling all Linux Ryzen owners! Submit your CPU numbers (uCode/ProdDate)

RMA replacement arrived in a questionable looking shipping box with questionable packaging . Inside was a sealed retail box with the following:

UA 1733SUS

So post week 25, fabricated in: Suzhou, U, Saratoga
What is U again?

This one should be fine unless it was damaged during shipping. Will test using GCC for the next 5 days or so.

Assembled in SuzhoU diffused in Saratoga is the SUS code.

I got mine in a Large FedEx box. 1728SUS.
Seems like a lot of the replacement chips are SUS.

PS: The serial number is encoded in the Graphic Code, but its too low resolution to decode easily.

If yours didnā€™t have the small circular seal sticker on the bottom itā€™s one that was fished from the production line.

Mine funnily enough was shipped from Markham, Ontario Canada from ATI Technologies ULC

1 Like

I totally did not know that but makes sense now that I think about it. QC codes are surprisingly hardy so it would probably decode properly after using an upscaler.

I bough the last week a Ryzen 1700 in pccomponentes (Spain)
with Ubuntu 17.10 Beta 2
i compile Python 3.6 (the kill-ryzen dosent work (fail mount ramdisk) )
12 times whithout segmentation fault (only other warnings) problem using this:

first do ./configure

#!/bin/bash

export LANG=C

if [ $# -ge 1 ] ; then
  CONCURRENCY=$1
else
  CONCURRENCY=16
fi

for ((i=0;12;i++)) ; do
 echo 'Start test $i'
  if make -j$CONCURRENCY >/dev/null 2>>log.txt ; then
    echo "$i: $(date): OK" >>log.txt
  else
    echo "$i: $(date): NG" >>log.txt
  fi
  dmesg >dmesg.txt
  make clean >/dev/null 2>>log.txt
done

My CPU is 1717SUS

DMI: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. AB350M-Gaming 3/AB350M-Gaming 3-CF, BIOS F7a 09/15/2017
model		: 1
model name	: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core Processor
stepping	: 1
microcode	: 0x8001129
1 Like

Dear,

I can replicate this problem in Windows ???
If not, emulating Linux can I execute replicate the problem, if my CPU is a problematic ???

My CPU is UA 1709PGT.
Microcode: 8001129

And I have a bad CPU apparently.
error_ryzen

Just use a live distro from USB. Manjaro XFCE runs perfectly fine these days and I just needed to build blender to trigger the segfault. Also ubuntu 17.10 is out so that might be another option for a live stick.

Now we can see the error more clearly.
Iā€™m starting my RMA. Waiting for their respects.
I wanted to know who did it, if it was necessary to send the CPU before receiving the new copy. I can not stop.

error_ryzen_02

In my case, they said they would send the replacement after verifying the defective CPU was shipped, but it took several weeks before I got mine back (to be fair this about the time Irma happened, and they shipped it from Canada. The place they had me send the defective CPU to was in Miami).

Their customer service seems pretty decent, I would at least ask if they will do an advanced RMA.

Also, in your first email, to speed up the process, go ahead and include this info (it may take a day or two for them to reply in my experience):

• Processor model
  • Make and model of motherboard
  • Motherboard BIOS version
  • Make and model of RAM
  • Make and model of power supply
  • CPU VCORE, SOC and RAM voltages (screenshot/picture of BIOS settings preferred)
  • Picture of the interior of the case, to rule out heating issues
3 Likes

This is the correct advice. Thanks for posting that for others.

In my case it was also shipped out of Canada at the same time as Irma was happening.
On the box the source address read ā€œATi Technologies LLCā€ of all things :smile_cat:

3 Likes

Just as a heads upā€¦ Amazon is still selling impacted CPUā€™s. Ordered an 1800x same day shipping (couldnā€™t resist the new $350 price, received an 1800X UA1721PGT with segfault issuesā€¦

3 Likes

At least you can return to amazon relatively easy.
Sucks tho.

1 Like

it probably was honestly stock that got pushed to the back

A little late here but here is my microcode

model : 1
model name : AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core Processor
stepping : 1
microcode : 0x8001129
EDIT:
oh ya and
dmesg | grep -e 'DMI.*BIOSā€™
gave me this.
[ 0.000000] DMI: To Be Filled By O.E.M. To Be Filled By O.E.M./X370 Taichi, BIOS P3.10 08/25/2017

Hmmn, now that I think about it. When I got my ryzen 1700 I was rendering unreal editor 4. It would crash and shut down the editor at random timesā€¦ It did it in my windows boot a couple timesā€¦ I actually used that as a test frame to set, voltage to clock speed. I thought I was clocking too much. And now I wonder.

Thatā€™s a difficult to debug & noisy test case.
Because Unreal ED can be buggy at the best of times and introduces too many variable that one canā€™t control for.

1 Like

As updateā€¦ Returned the CPU to Amazon and ordered a replacement from Newegg. Exact same production facility and date codeā€¦ It seems as though AMD is trying to offload these old production chips to some of the bigger retailers.

Wish Iā€™d known this before I ordered yesterday, heh.

I got my 1700 today and itā€™s a Week 19 chip. So close, yet so far. As predicted, Amazon said they canā€™t really do anything other than let me play the Replacement Game, so Iā€™ll see if AMD can help me out before playing that game.

But have you tested it to confirm the segfault bug?

Donā€™t just return it because of the manufacture date. I have seen 2 Ryzen 7ā€™s and one Ryzen 5 now which are early chips without the bug. So its not always a 100% sure thing.

1 Like

Iā€™d rather not open it up and deal with it since I already have a ā€œworkingā€ 1600 up and running in my server. Iā€™d rather let AMD test and return if itā€™s fine. No point in downtime if Iā€™d just have to put the 1600 back in anyway. :smiley:

Edit: ā€œworkingā€ in quotes because the 1600 actually has faulty L3 cacheā€¦but thatā€™s another story!

By testing I meant running the ryzen_segv script.