Call blocking on landlines?

So my parents are old and have a landline. They get easily 10+ scam calls a day from spoofed local numbers. Anyone set up some sort of spam call blocking? Hopefully, that respects privacy. I’ve got a Raspberry Pi that could use a worthwhile mission.

I’ve been listening to the podcast for a while and thought this would be a good place to ask. Banana Phone is the only thing I’ve seen so far that looks promising.

Most phone companies have a automatic call blocking feature which works quite well, you can use that.

You can also get devices which answer calls and ask the person to press a button to get through, this stops most spam calls but can be a bit annoying.

1 Like

There are cordless phone that can be programmed to block defined numbers. I have a couple of those and they work really well.
Beside the options I and Eden provided there isn’t really any other option. Maybe, if their line goes through fiber at some point, they have a modem/router that’s handling calls and through that should be possible to block phone calls.

P.S. another idea could be having some kind of device that’s able to receive the DTMF tones of the incoming call and dropping the call if a certain combination is incoming. To do this you’ll need an ADC for the input and a DAC to pass through the call if number is not in the spam list.

P.P.S. a Raspberry Pi could work really well for this now that I think about it. But you still need the ADC and DAC to connect the phone too. And some kind of custom software.

I’m from the age before cellphones. And I remember shortly before they came available wide spread, new features were being put into telephones for this very thing. Here’s a website I found that might help:

I remember the days of *77 and *60. Was alot simpler back then. And my mom got ALOT less robo calls because of this. I think there’s even an option like this with cellphones but I’m not sure. Hope this helps!!

One of the star options in the article I posted blocks all calls that do not have a number or name attached to the incoming phone call. If it’s a blocked number, it can’t call you.