California is making so much solar energy the rest of the country looks like a joke

Sarcasm, They clearly have an issue with me & topics I post. I can takes steps to solve that so everyone is happy.

1 Like

Bay area ca here
0.25c per kw/h

Wa state 0.10c per kw/h

2 Likes

gotta love it, hope you don't forget to turn off the lights lol

Screw them. They should be attacking the content if/when it is appropriate, not you. Has a moderator or admin contacted you about your posting of news? No? Then don't worry about it.

One guy posted that weed is a growing problem and then eluded to the idea that smoking weed leads to violence. What does that have to do with anything regarding solar energy?

2 Likes

I don't know how an article about the progress of the implementation of products developed from electrical engineering and discoveries in physics have anything to do with technology, either.

It's not like it's even current, or impactful. It's just one US state. I mean it's not like the messily State of California has more people than the entire Contenent of Austriallia.

BAD @Miguel_Sensacion !!!

2 Likes

somebody skimmed my post :wink:
also it was just a side point alluding to the bigger picture

Just curious as to why people think the solar energy systems are unmanageable? Yes its common knowledge solar energy costs more up front but long term it's meant to pay itself off unless you install some nasty cheap panels that die within 10 years.

Some people in this thread should think about why they are in this forum, if they do not follow the rules of it. If you have issues with content submitted you ask message the mods or start a meta discussion about content policies. But attacking one submitter because he/she submits stories from the wrong sources is not the way to go. Just think about new people visiting this forum and seeing this thread for a first impression it leaves a bad taste.

Please treat this discussion forum with the same respect you would a public park.

So please stay on-topic and if you disagree with the content flag it or start a discussion that refines the rules of this subforum.

1 Like

It's unmanageable because when in times of surplus we have to offload it somehow, there's a lot of technical stuff that i don't have a full grasp of myself that makes large installations unruly. This costs our government money as they have to pay other states to take the surplus, the reason they pay has to do with the way infrastructure is set up. If you have a coal plant and there's not one to use the energy, the energy is wasted, though due to the nature of a coal plant this doesn't cause problems too many problems, it just wastes tons of energy. When solar is in surplus, and no one can use up all that power being generated. Due to the way it's designed, it can become dangerous, and potentially damage internal systems if not mitigated, on top of congesting entire power grids. That's why we need to offload power to other states, because if we don't, it could cause severe damage, and congestion across our power grid. But they don't need our power, they don't want our power, because we create too much of it and that causes problems for them down the line.

This article explains what has happened with Germany and the consequences of pushing renewable energy too hard too fast

This in particular caught my eye.

Solar power in it's current state can't support California year round, though in times of surplus it vastly out performs and causes major issues for us, costing our state government, and in effect, using up our tax money (which has only served to increase taxation, while energy still is far from cheap).

I can't provide you with a full picture in brief, there's a lot of information out their concerning solar and wind. While Germany is having problems with wind, we are having the same issues with solar.

In short, we're moving to fast... it's not as good as it seems, we need to slow down until our infrastructure can handle these hits, or find a way of reducing the amount of energy we make during surplus.

1 Like

Hmm, well it sounds like the problem could be fixed if they wanted to. Guess you just have too much electricity in USA, here in Australia its the opposite.

Last time I checked the Australian government said fuck you world it coal and oil for 20 years.

Yeah and they also said SA can't use their own natural gas resource to produce power. They did this by making us pay more for the GAS then what its sold for as export.. DERP DE DERP DERP DE DERP....song plays in my head all the time when I hear stuff about this current governments dealings and policies....

Oh here, the Australian government song:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PDJcw9oJt0

There's no feasible way at the moment to stop that from happening (Germany hasn't solved their issues in the last 2 years, and i doubt we will any time soon either, it's a sad state of affairs)

Unless we had like massive batteries that could take being rapidly charged, or somehow heavily reduce power generation on a moments notice, I doubt well see much improvement :frowning:

I for one hope we scale it back, the state keeps pushing it regardless and it's getting really annoying paying out of the nose for their mistakes. I'm patient, we don't need solar tomorrow, I can happily wait 10, 20, 30 years if need be so we can implement it correctly. (but then they couldn't pad their pockets, what a shame)

Lol yeah, I'm not asking for that, there's a healthy balance that we need to achieve, until of course we have the technology to deal with it, without paying others to take our crap lol.

I don't think I've ever been happy with any government's dealing and policies lol.
It seems they just don't know how to do business kek.

heyo, just your friendly (well mostly friendly) anti-big gov nutjob :stuck_out_tongue:

@lightonflux I sent him an apology for being agro, got a bit triggered by MIC and it was all seeing red after that. So as far as I'm concerned it's over, on my part.

1 Like

I'm not an electrical engineer, but isn't this backwards? With a solar panel, if you don't need the energy, you can just take it off the grid. Solar panels do fine when in the sun and disconnected, as no current can flow.

In contrast, a disconnected coal power plant would still generate heat/steam, without anything braking the turbine, which sounds like a much more problematic situation to me.

Well its all about a cleaner future isn't it, you can't talk about a green future and huge profits in the same sentence I'm sorry to say. It comes down to how much Planet Earth will allow us to get away with before extreme weather and pollution make living a very hard thing to do.

AND from what I have seen the US and Australia government don't take clean future technology and industry very seriously at all. If you think that's ok then you might be in for a very rude awakening within the next 20-30yrs, because you can't just bandaid the issue up in a moments notice I'm sorry to say.
Shame people can't grasp this concept.

1 Like

It does doesn't it, I said earlier i haven't fully grasped it.

Though i do understand that you just can't unplug a solar cluster (at least from the documentation i've seen), not sure exactly why, i'm sure there's a good reason for it. As for coal I'm not entirely sure if it's a complete disconnect, again, I don't have a full understanding of it, I just know enough to know the outcomes of both. For some bizarro reason an over productive coal plant is not nearly as difficult as an over productive solar cluster. Also, something that just occured to me, it's very possible that the issue lies within the fact that when solar is in surplus, it really... reaalllyyy saturated the power grid, whereas coal doesn't have these massive booms of generation. It could very well be that they can mitigate the extra energy from coal and just not capable of mitigating solar booms. Again i admit there are holes in my understanding, though that epiphany makes a hell of a lotta sense. Again I'm not an EE so, i don't know all that much of the inner workings... yet(?)

@The_Riddick

i think it's ironic that the worst cities are almost all California, and yet we're leading in solar hahahaha

we got bigger problems, mainly third world countries (and china) that require fossil fuels to survive, while we might be huge contributors, if I remember correctly America only makes up something like less than 33%~ish of all emissions across the globe or something like that, I'll have to find that stat, don't quote me on that. (that takes account of the entire globe)

Also our earth won't die within the next 200 years (tho she'll be a little worse for wear), I don't have the time or energy to debate and gather all my resources (the irony). It's 1:35 AM and i need to rest. I've been on this climate change stuff for the last 6 years, haven't been able to change many minds, people are pretty set on what they believe (though i've gotten a few).

Don't worry to much, be aware though... we'll probably end up in a nuclear war before our earth gives up on us #silverlinings?

We still have time to make it a better place and a better future. though we don't have to ruin economies and livelihoods in the process... and we don't even have the tech yet to justify solar everything, and government pushing it won't change that.. Patience is key.

inb4 science denier lololol /s

3 Likes

There is more to factor in then just particulate matter in the atmosphere. But yes India and China have a serious air pollution issue which is going to devastate their population if they don't move away from fossil fuel FAST. Btw Earth won't die, but we might.

1 Like

Hey hey hey, i like the way you think lol.

yeah, but it's not usually as immediate in the impacts, such as waste management, recycling, and all that.

the sad thing is that would devistate them greatly unless they tread very carefully (of which neither are known to be good at doing), and if they move to solar and wind that would take such a great cost that it would probably plunge many into poverty. There's no winning really.

But dammit! I need sleep! You respond too fast lol.
i'm going to sleep

That part makes sense to me: Unplugging anything can cause arcing, which in turn can cause damage. But that only refers to the act of unplugging while under load rather than the state of not being plugged in. There are switches designed to cut power while under heavy load though, so I don't think this is the issue.

Still doesn't explain why the panels can't just be takem off the grid though.

"only" :laughing:
Quite a bit for less than 5% of the world's population

1 Like

I only respond fast because its 6:30pm here and my stupid desktop notification is turned on. Flashes a big box on my screen when someone replies, normally its turned off but not this time.

As for land pollution and waste, I think it will have more of a impact then air pollution. Many oceans for example have already suffered to the point of industry collapse, that and over fishing.

1 Like