C246 or X570 NAS?

Greetings everyone - first time posting here. :smiley:

I got tired of buying external drives for (somewhat cold) storage/backup so I decided to build a home/freelancer/small business NAS.

Since this is my first configuring a NAS, I’d like to get your take on what I’m thinking.

Two configs:

Gigabyte C246-WU4 / Asus WS C246 Pro
Intel i3-9100

OR

Asrock Steel Legend X570
Ryzen 5 3600

Both with Kingston ECC memory (2x16GB) and 4 8TB Ironwolf drives (for now). TrueNAS as OS.

Do I go with C246 or X570? B550? :person_shrugging:

Cheers and apologies if this question or something similar has been asked before.

Are you buying this stuff new, or is it stuff you have on hand already? Will you be adding additional NIC’s or using what’s on the board?

Right out the gate my preference would be to use the Asus WS C246 Pro board of chose choices just for full ECC support and the Dual Intel NIC’s

It’ll be new - nothing used around me.
NIC - I’ll probably use what’s on the board to be honest…

For Ryzen, the only reason you want to go with an X570 board is if you need the extra PCIe 4.0 slots. Pairing something like a Gigabyte B550 Aorus Master with a 3600 is more than enough for a NAS. Though personally I would go the ITX route here, with a solid B550 ITX board.

I would also definitely consider investing in a good NAS case such as this one:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.