Buying the Motorola Droid Turbo in 2017

I was on a crazy budget when getting a new phone. I've had the Honor 6 for about 2 years now, but it has a crack in just the wrong place so that the microphone is useless.

My budget was 1,500 NOK (Norwegian Kroner) which is around 180 USD. If I wanted a new phone it would have to be a Moto E4 or one of the really cheap phones from Samsung or Sony, but I didn't want to. It's too much of a sacrifice and as an owner of the Honor 6 I know how a company cuts corners to keep a phone cheap.

So I went on Ebay and got a Droid Turbo for about $170 unlocked from Verizon and have been using it for about 2 days.

My philosophy was that a 720p low end phone with 8 cores clocked low would suck compared to a monster with a 1440p screen and 4 cores clocked at 2.7 GHz with 3 GB of ram. The 3900 mAh battery with "Turbo charging" was also tempting.

So far I think it's been a great choice. It's just so fast and smooth. It runs Android 6.0.1 like an absolute champ, and I am considering flashing AOKP rom on it. That way I can run Android 7 and take advantage of the split screen multitasking functionality.

I will update you with my experience as the time goes on, but so far I think it's fair to say that if you have to choose between a two/three year old flagship or a new low end phone, go for the old flagship even if it's a used phone. Would love to hear you all's experience when it comes to this dilemma.

3 Likes

Is this a project for you or you just want a replacement phone because as you said the current one is broken. If you want a replacement, have you considered buying a 2nd hand phone? Here at my area you can probably get a Samsung S6 LG G5 or an OnePlus 2 for that amount 2nd hand.

I said I already bought the Droid Turbo. Not a big fan of Samsung and LG. The Oneplus 2 doesn't have NFC if I remember correctly.

Also this post is mostly to give my experience of getting an older second hand phone.

I’m also using this site for checking smartphone configuration and also compare with another smartphone. Its really great site. :smile:

Does 4G LTE work for you? My friend coulnt get it to work when he bought it back in 2015.i don’t remember whether it simply didn’t have LTE capability or of the frequency bands was just not compatible with what we have here in DK. Am on mobile so can’t check easily.

4G LTE works flawlessly. No problems. I’m in Norway btw so I had to unlock it.

1 Like