Buying suspicious ssd from ebay

Hi in your experience how trust worthy is this seller and ssd? https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Lenovo-SSD-512GB-M-2-SanDisk-X600-FRU-00UP664/133024371443
I’ve buyied a lot of things from ebay but never this kind of hardware, I’ve never beed cheated but there is always a first time. I’m in tight budget and this one is the best i’ve found so far.
Im looking to put it in my latitude 5480

1 Like

Well, the seller doesn’t have too many reviews, but the image seems “organic” enough to be real (you can see this face in the reflection). The price seems about right for a Sata drive of that model and size, and the seller has other parts from the same OEM that might logically come from whatever that drive came from. On the other hand, the seller does not accept returns.

On the surface the seller seems like an average eBay user but not often a seller. Probably it’s a legitimate listing and not a scam. I would still keep looking. The listing could be real but you have no option for return.

If you get ripped off at least you got parts of his face in the reflection on the antistatic bag :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just FYI…

Western Digital Blue 512g SATA SSD $65 from Newegg and Amazon

If you can do NVMe instead of SATA, HP EX900 500g on sale this weekend for $58 at Newegg, same price at Amazon but they show a backorder of 1-3 mos

1 Like

Something tells me he doesn’t have access to those deals due to geographic issues.

2 Likes

Haha i didn’t notice that

Yea i’m in Argentina, i can only access ebay due to a lot of customs regulations and importing goods is a two to three months proccess, even longer if the shipping was free. I will keep looking for other options and take into considarations your suggestions. Thanks a lot!

purchasing used drives on ebay can be an iffy proposition at best.
unless they offer a guarantee it may be a crap shoot that you may get bad drives.
but not always I have bought bulk lots of hard drives (10 or more at a time and only found 1 bad) which the seller promptly replaced.
always research the feedback reports or strictly stick with commercial outfits.

I have sold a few but I always included the test results performed on the drives.

You could inspect the SMART data upon receipt of SSD (or get seller to send them to you if they are willing) using Ubuntu “disks” program (click menu button with 3 horizontal lines) or something like crystal disk info or speed fan if using windows. Some parameters like ID 5 (reallocated sectors count) should be zero if you want “like new” condition. Can also compare total LBAs written (ID 241 for me) to the terabytes written (TBW) published for that drive model and also compare ID 9 (power on hours) to mean time before failure (MTBF) for that model to try and estimate how much life the drive has left. Manufacture’s TBW and MTBF numbers are very very loose averaged estimates I’ve heard though. Other IDs might be relevant depending on who made the drive. I’d make sure I could return it if these numbers are too high.