Buying a 1978 Chevy Camaro Z28

The car has 39k miles. The exterior and interior look pretty immaculate. The dealer is selling it for $19,995.

Any advice on buying vehicles especially the Camaro I'm thinking about? I don't know my way around this arena. This will be the first car I've ever purchased.

That is about double the price it should be. WALK AWAY from that rip-off deal.

Is it in mint condition and fully restored?
Otherwise i think its a bit pricey.

If you just have to have a camaro I get it. But this is a massive waste of money.

Is it a clone? Is it numbers matching?

2nd gen Camaros are meh. Get a Firebird.

2 Likes

Pay that much if it has an ls swap and its charged.

That's definitely a "dealer price"
No way is it worth that much.

Are you crazy?

Unless you are a car guy who has at least a garage with many tools , never buy a classic car as your first car. I would say if you want a camaro like this , buy a crappy 3000$ one , learn how to diagnose and fix everything on the car so you are already an expert when you buy an immaculate one.

I ASSUME , you must have a normal car to drive around. But if you don't , then definitely don't buy a classic car as your daily run around.

3 Likes

A 1978 is probably one of the worst years you can buy.

The reason a z28 is a popular and sometimes expensive car is because it had the LT1 engine and a t56 6 speed transmission and put out around 300 bhp without any real effort.

The 1978 car was detuned to less than 200 bhp and was only given a 4 speed transmission or an automatic.

Most 4 door soccer mom cars are faster than this piece of shit.

Thats not true at all.

You want to avoid exotics like porches and stuff like that, but older american cars are pretty straight forward to work on. No computers, plenty of space to work with, standard nut and bolt construction.

The only big thing to watch out for is rust.

Beware of dry rotted seals and leaks in older cars. Also 20K Is a bit much for that year of Camaro.
Side note, A base model Honda civic would have more horsepower than a z28 of that year.

whats not true?

I would assume the part about buying classic cars. But it's best to wait for him to say what he meant.

Unless you are a car guy who has at least a garage with many tools , never buy a classic car as your first car.

1 Like

So buy a classic car as a first car with no place to store it and no tools to work on it and no interest in cars.

That's what you're saying then?

you're saying you don't need tools , a garage , or need to be a car guy.

just store the 20,000 car outside , don't buy even the cheapest socket wrench set , and don't be into cars

Walk away, in no way is it worth the risk. And I agree with others here, it's an awful year. There are much better options out there, for half the cost.

This doesn't sound right. Also if this really is your first car, how old are you? If you're young, this is an awful idea.

1 Like

You need tools sure, but you don't need a heck of a lot more than a socket set and some screw drivers.

Its not like a volkwagen where you literally need a special tool to change the brake pads.

Also, it can be outside. The car is not a sugar cube. It won't melt in the rain. I suppose if you live a place where the weather conditions suck, then sure you might want a garage. But is it imperative? No.

Now considering the budget is 20K, I would definitely say that buying a new car is a wayyyyyyyyyyyy smarter idea.

I just don't think its right to say that no one should ever buy a classic car as a first car. Obviously most people's first cars are generally used, and there are tons of pros and cons between an older car and a newer one.

Obviously it largely depends on the situation.

you didn't even read

you're argueing for no reason , go elsewhere if thats what you want

I did read, but I am way too tired right now, and when you said classic cars I was thinking older cars in general.