Busy writing to Disk?

So I'm downloading a game for steam and it says busy writing to disk. i have a WD blue which is a pretty fast drive and its been to about 200 mb in about 10 minutes. What do I do! Please help

what does that mean.

No. It is because something else on your system is using up your drive. Open Resource Manager or Task Manager in Windows 8 and check your disk utilization. It will be at 100%. Look at the processes using your disk. Something is using it up that will tell you what and you can stop it. Usually these things fix themselves though.

I doubt most people's connections are fast enough to saturate the write speeds of a modern 7200RPM HDD.  

^Fibre bro. Fibre. And WD Blues are moderately fast. Once it starts to fill up it will get slower, so yeah :3

I doubt residential fiber is that fast. 

That means your fiber has to be at least... 24 Gb/s?

Edit: Nevermind that number, I'm dumb. 

I say it the 'merican way. lol

Fiber-Optic. And while actually talking nobody really says fiber-optic. Its always just been fiber for me. 

Yeah, I sometimes forget that I'm talking to people that don't have the same dialect? as me. Not the best word but its all I got at the moment. 

Honestly, that would be kind of funny. His response would be... interesting. But I understand what you're saying, I'll be more careful in the future. 

Also we kinda hijacked this thread. 

This is semantics.

my internet speeds are 22 mbps. but about 2.5 MEGABYTES on steam. so would a faster internet connection help

i also got a WD Black and that didnt help

if i defragment my drive and it still does this and what do i do

Welcome to the joys of NTFS. Join the EXT4 and BTRFS community for improved Drive performance and overall experience. Check out the Linux threads for more information. 

I thought NTFS was the next big thing back in 2009? Not very familiar with the whole computer nerd stuff, but I thought microsoft was pushing NTSF with windows 7?

NTFS has been around for a while now. I believe it came into existence aka mainstream use back with Windows XP. It stands for New Technology File System. It may have begun being used around the time Windows NT came around.According to Wikipedia, NTFS version 1.0 came out in 1993, and Version 3.1 in 2001. EXT4 on the other hand came out in 2006 and BTRFS in 2007.

EXT4 and BTRFS primarily uses GPT for Partitioning as does NTFS. 

under EXT4, the max filename length is 255 bytes and the allowable characters in directory entries are any byte except NUL and /. There is no limit defined for the maximum pathname length. The Maximum file size is 16TB and the maximum volume size is 1EB.

BTRFS has a max filename length of 255 bytes, accepts any byte except NUL, has no defined pathname limit, has a maximum file size of 16EB, and has a maximum volume size of 16EB.

NTFS has a 255 character max file name size, the allowable characters depend on the namespace used, the pathname limit is 32,767 unicode characters with each directory or filename (usually up to 255 characters). The max file size is 16TB and the max volume size is 256TB.

BTRFS supports:

• Hard Links,
  • Symbolic Links
  • Case-Sensitive
  • Case-preserving
  • File-change logs
  • Snapshots
  • Encryption
  • COW (copy on Write)
  • Integrated LVM (Logical Volume Management)
  • Data Deduplication
  • Online Resizable Volumes
  • Cloning
  • Send/receive (saving diffs between snapshots to a binary stream)
  • Quota Groups
  • In-place ext2/3/4 conversion
  • Union mounting/seed devices
  • Checking and recovery
  • Chunk level RAID
  • Online defragmentation
  • Online volume growth and shrinking
  • Online block device addition and removal
  • Online balancing
  • Offline filesystem checks
  • Online data scrubbing
  • RAID 0, 1, 5, 6, and 10
  • Subvolumes
  • Transparent compression zlib and LZO per file and/or volume
  • File cloning
  • Out-of-band data deduplication
  • In-band deduplication
  • Online filesystem checks
  • Very fast offline filesystem checks
  • RAID with up to six parity devices
  • Object-level RAID 0,1,and 10
  • Incremental backup.

EXT4 supports:

• Hard Links
  • Symbolic Links
  • Block Journaling
  • Metadata-only Journalling
  • Case-sensitive
  • Case-preserving
  • XIP (execute in place)
  • Encryption
  • Online Volume Resizing
  • Large filesystems
  • Extents
  • Backward compatibility
  • Persistent pre-allocation
  • Delayed allocation
  • Increased 32,000 subdirectory limit to unlimited
  • Journal checksumming
  • Faster file system checking
  • Multiblock allocator
  • Improved timestamps

NTFS supports:

• Hard Links
  • Symbolic Links
  • Metadata-only journalling
  • Case-sensitive
  • Case-preserving
  • File change logs
  • Partial snapshots
  • XIP (execute in place)
  • Encryption
  • Partial COW
  • Data deduplication (only on Windows Server 2012)
  • Online volume resizing
  • Volume shadow copy
  • Transactions
  • Sparse files
  • File compression
  • Alternate Data streams
  • Scalability
  • Quotas
  • Reparse points
  • Resizing

EXT4 has little to no fragmentation issues. In fact, I have not found any tools in Linux to defrag an EXT4 drive.

To put the BTRFS into perspective, the maximum number of files that can be placed onto a BTRFS volume of the 16 Exabyte size is: 2^64 files. That equals in layman's terms: 18 quintillion 446 quadrillion 744 trillions 73 billions 709 millions 551 thousands 616 files. It is equal to the max number of IP addresses in IPv6.

I degfragmented my hardrive and it stilll does this. What do I do/ Im just a kid and my family isnt in the best financial situation so i cant really buy anything extra