Bulding a solar water well pump

To correct my mistake and threw the auto air vent in to prime the system without having to run the pump dry.

2 Likes

You make the best disgrams .

2 Likes

Also, while we're hairsplitting, move the pump outlet pipe down to/below the level of the tank outlet. If you really really really hate priming manually and the plants have taken all the water from the tank.

Also, enough with the dubious crop choices, this forum is under enough surveillance as is...

LOL its far from ideal, i know, but I dont have a ton of time to put into it.

I guess I'm not as funny as I think I am.

better?

3 Likes

dude weed LMAO!

JK, I found it funny. Especially the part where you contemplate the legality of open air storage, while ignoring the obvious.

3 Likes

I liked the valve to my tomato patch with a well twerked valve. The kids can have songy weed

1 Like

So take for instance Colorado where it is legal to grow your own but you cant collect rain water. 'MURICA!

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/marijuana/home-grow-laws

Check valves every day diggy dum deeeey...

Well at least Nestle isn't privatizing the rain yet, lol... But that's just a stupid law that would never have gotten voted out if a major corporation started collecting rain for money...

I got chuckles.

One small thing being overlooked by those suggesting a timer is after ramping up too full power the pump pumps the well dry in about 3 seconds. it quickly recovers once the pump starts studdering so its pumping just slightly faster than the recovery rate.

That bypass loop seem like a good idea. I could do it and only have too buy one valve and a few extra fittings.

I already have a check valve but I may not use it as it is a little more work for my pump to pump though it and I can hold a prime by just closing a regular valve right after the pump. The built in pressure switch in the pump will turn it off when the valve is closed and back on when its open. Edit: come to think of it that would not work so good with the loop in there

If I do lose my prime I did figure out a super easy way too reprime if I ever need too. I simply turn on both pumps and then suck on the little one and its reprimed in about two seconds.
I don't really wanna auto top off the tank all the time because I like to run it out too keep things fresh.

So did we decide is was stupid try hook up my dimmer switch? Should I just install it in my bathroom instead for some mood lit poopin?

A funny thing here is I inadvertently collected everything I would need to jet drill a 3 inch well sept the well spike that would cost about $15, about 20ft of pvc and then the scraps of pvc I would need to make the jet drill itself if I can't make one out of the stuff I already have. My current inch and a quarter one is steel.

You can try it. It might work. It might not. You should for sure baby sit the pump to see if its getting hot when you first hook it up though.

Wellp I tried adding a loop and it dose make it pretty easy to prime although the max flow rate I can manage is about the same as when I was using quarter inch tubing so that's about the top output my little well spike can manage. I was going to try the dimmer but a house wall dimmer will not work at 12v. It probably would have been smart to just stop when I got it working too my needs, but it was a fun project for a few weekends none the less. The battery will run my pump for a good long wile. Idk how long cuz I have not gotten anywhere near running it down.

1 Like

Awesome you have it working :slight_smile:

Now you have to build a water tower pump water into it...Then hydro power for everything :slight_smile:

1 Like

my "tomatoes" are gonna be dank as fuc this year.

1 Like

Note I am forgoing the solar because I've found out I can fully charge the battery by just hooking it up to my car when I drive normally. This has not effected the charge in my actual car battery one bit and dose not seem to be too much for the alternator.

That should work fine, but it doesn't let you automate it. I was thinking pump when there is sun up into a "water tower" have a physical weight determined release valve, drain it into a soaker hose. Set it and forget it ronco style...

I do have a low pressure drip irrigation system connected to my water container. I only have to open a valve when I want water. Then I plug in the battery when the tank needs filling. Don't gotta do all that much.

today I learned PWM Motor Controller modules are a thing thats readily available and inexpensive, I probably should have got one.

gotta link?
@pepeprs