Building a touchscreen kitchen recipe PC out of an old Thinkpad

I often want to make food or cocktails in the kitchen, and I either just put my phone on the counter and get it dirty/sticky or print out a recipe

Neither of these are very handy. So I decided to build a PC with a touchscreen that I could place in the kitchen and view recipes on

Luckily, I have a self hosted instance of Mealie I keep my recipes in, and it has quite a good UI. I have a few spare Pi’s which I wanted to use, but I found touchscreens for them are expensive and generally low quality

But, I realized I have an old ThinkPad X1 Carbon collecting dust. Its old, and the screen hinge is not in the best of shape. So my plan is to get this setup as a sort of Kiosk PC in the kitchen in a custom frame/enclosure. Its an i7 3667U with 8GB of RAM and a 256GB M.2 SSD

Here are details and where I am, and what I still need to do

Here is a Demo of where we are at right now

• Installed Pop_OS (Why? It seemed to work well with laptops)
  • Enabled SSH so I can remotely manage it
  • Set the account to Autologin
  • Set Firefox to start on login and go to the Mealie instance
  • Installed ForceFull on Firefox so it goes full screen automatically
  • Set it with the lowest power more, and not to go to sleep

And the long list of things to do

• Confirm idle power usage. Right now it seems to be a little high. It may be spiking up to try charge the old battery?
  • Possibly remove the battery. But, if I do I need to make sure its UPS backed. So possible PoE powered? Getting 20v out might be tough though

• Figure out passive cooling. In a custom enclosure I should be able to passively cool it

• Figured out how to disable pinch to zoom in Firefox. It can really mess it up, and getting it back to 100% is tough

• Make VNC available on boot. VNC seems a little weird in Pop_OS

• Possibly make the OS read only?

• Find a way to go back and forward easily. Swiping left and right does not work

• Fix this issue where swiping down to get the address bar exits full screen (Also happens with Kiosk mode)

• Fix an issue where the cursor lands on the edge of a recipe and ends up causing a flickering address in the bottom left

Would love any comments and input

2 Likes

This could work for powering it. It expects 20v, but I suspect 18v would be fine. Supports 30w, so that SHOULD work. Hopefully more so if I remove the battery

1 Like

Battery reports fully charged. With the screen dimmed the idle power usage us 8w, and with it on max brightness its about 12w, but it does spike to around 30w when in use

Going to see what I can do to reduce that. Hopefully turning off more things will get that lower

1 Like

I like the attitude of reduce, reuse, recycle.