Building a free nas server

I need a freenas server since I no longer trust vsan (long story).

does it matter if I use ddr3 ? supermicro barebone on ebay with ddr3 is way cheaper than ddr4. also I have a lot of ddr3 memory laying around.

I’m thinking to do 36 bay starting with 100tb raw space with nvme or ssd cache.

thoughts?

Should be fine. My Truenas Core system runs on Ivybridge and is rock solid. Fast ram less important than fast networking and better storage (SSD / fast hdd)

3TiB drives? Unless you are reusing existing drives, i’d suggest 6 or 8TiB drives as the current price / capacity sweet spot. Should let you use a lot fewer bays.

2 Likes

As Air mentioned, it’s very hardware backwards compatible, I had it running reliably on two DDR2 test machines for 6 months without issue. Helps greatly to use an SSD or an NVMe drive as a boot drive.

You probably know of it already, but this is a handy site for calc’ing usable storage space: ZFS Capacity Calculator - WintelGuy.com

2 Likes

i should be more clear about it. I don’t plan on using all 36 bays from day 1. I probably get some 8-10tb drives with 1 or 2 flash drives and definitely 10gb and maybe dual 10gb. I plan on vmotion all the vm to the new drives then break the vsan and going back to hard raid from those existing drives

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.