Building a editing/rendering rig

Unless they use anything that takes advantage of the horsepower of that Titan, it’s a waste of money that’s better put elsewhere.

The VRAM may be the deciding factor though.

After looking at a benchmarks and talking to the client he wants to make sure he his able to process 8k footage, color correction processes and able to render any 3d effects. Not to mention the nvidia creator drivers and the rtx titan is $2000 cheaper than the quadro rtx 6000, it was better than 2 2080ti sli.

I’ve spent at least 6 hours looking at prebuilt and diy built systems. The specs I came up with are based on the customer requirements and their budget. I am trying to futureproof the system as much as possible so the customer will have as much uptime as possible.

1 Like

The customer just let me know that he will be using the following:

Houdini, DaVinci Resolve, Cinema 4D, Marvellous Designer to start. But then there are simulation plugins like Real Flow and X Particles.

On the Linus thing: It’s not the source, it’s how you read it.

Sorry, what? Put a Noctua NH-D15 or NH-U14S in a proper case and it will outperform 240 AIOs. Especially over long renders.

1 Like

If it were for me, I would not hesitate. On builds which I am not around to service, I am more cautious. The customer isn’t as tech savvy as I am.

Futureproofing is not really a thing, but if you mean they can upgrade it down the road, then a Threadripper 3000 system would make more sense in that regard. I believe Ryzen 3000 is going to be the last AM4 socket CPU, so upgrading that system would involve a full replacement. You could drop in a 3990x if you needed to on the Threadripper system, and you’d have the additional PCIe lanes for any additional GPUs or storage they may need to add later on

1 Like

Well, I get the feeling that can’t be a very high bar if you actually think that Threadripper is uncoolable on air…

Timestamped

Depending on codec video rendering can use a lot of cores, certainly more than 16. If your customer also likes to continue to work while things are rendering in the background, more cores are always welcome. And if you suspect your customer to upgrade to dual Titan RTX cards, Threadripper is the only thing left on your list of options. Nothing else.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/LbJZ27

Without even attempting to be cheap I was able to put together a Threadripper system right here that is less expensive than your $7000+ 3950X system. I don’t know much about building for Threadripper, especially the newer ones, so don’t bother critiquing my build. I also didn’t include case fans there but if you spend $1000 on fans for this build I think you have bigger problems :laughing:

If your friend needs the raw horsepower and several thousand dollar budgets are possible then I think you are throwing out the idea of a Threadripper system way too easily. Also, is there something to the Titan RTX card being in the build vs just going with a 2080 Ti?

24 gigs of ram vs 11 gigs for the 2080 tis

what ram speed would you guys suggest for a 3970x build?? I am looking at a 4x32 gig kit

If you are really needing RAM on the gpu then are you also looking at the RTX Quadros? They are a crapton more expensive but that’s where the gpu RAM is. What exactly are the requirements for this rig? It kind of looks like you are just going for the most expensive for the sake of the most expensive. I put the 3960X in my linked build because it was closest in price to the 3950X but gets you on the new TRX40 socket and allowing an upgrade path.

if you read the whole thread I listed the software my customer will be using

I have spent two weeks going over every detail of this build specific to the software and need of my client.

I have speced out two computers for him. the 3950x and this one will be the more power spec. I am looking to DDR4 ram sticks but I am not entirely sure what speed to get.

1 Like

I use Houdini and I have a Ryzen 7 with 32GB of 3000MHz RAM so just software doesn’t equal workload. I read the entire thread so on that note, good luck with the build :tophat:

1 Like

On topic starter request.