Build VS buy an off-the-shelf ready enterprise solution for FreeNAS?

Hello, i cant seem to make my mind about if i should buy lets say a “Dell PowerEdge R720XD”, or build one rack mounted system for my case.

First of all let me tell you the use scenario of the machine im willing to build/buy. My needs lets say.

I have a small media agency with great needs of storage. 4K video mostly. So FreeNAS will run natively with the ability to run a couple VMs. [1x Windows Server (a small .NET app will run), 1x Windows 10 (For light GPU rendering when other PCs are occupied)]. I can even go to 6U if need be.

I would greatly appreciate having your help about my build. Feel free to propose other builds. If you have a proposal about a different Dell - HP - Supermicro system build i would really like to hear.

So lets see the following scenarios.

Case 1: Dell PowerEdge R720XD in this config.

I buy a ready system like Dell PowerEdge R720XD.

• It will work out of the box
  • not much configuration needed.
  • Ability to access the machine via iDRAC
  • Only 12x 3.5" SAS/SATA
  • No GPU rendering ability(?)
  • Not the ability to fully configure

Cost: About 1000-1500€

Case 2: Custom build that i would like your help with.
–Case: FANTEC SRC-4240X07
–Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming (Please offer alternative mobo as i find 64 GB very low for my needs - also no enterprise safety)
–CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X (Ryzen because raw power. If you believe i can find a used/new platform better suited for my needs please inform me. Intel also)
–RAM: 64 Gigabytes of DDR4
–HBA: SAS 9305-16i OR SAS 9305-24i
–10Gb/s LAN: Intel X540-T1 10G NIC (I would prefer RJ45 10Gb/s only)
–GPU: MSI NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1650 4GT LP OC
–HDD: Toshiba N300 14TB NAS (They seem VFM compared to Seagate IronWolf Pro. Also i currently use 3x Seagate IronWolf Pro 8TB where 2 of them failed after 2 months. Thankfully they replaced them)

+Ability to fully configure
+24x SAS / SATA slots
+GPU
-No iDRAC
-Not totally enterprise solution

Cost: More than Dell PowerEdge R720XD but with many strong points.

Budget: Up to 3000€ for a specific build. HDD can be partially bought when further expansion is needed.

Also ideas about the network configuration, i believe belong on another thread.

Also keep in mind i live in Greece - EU, so most probably Amazon.de will be used to buy from.

Your help is much appreciated!

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.