[Build Log] Two is One, One is None: The "Velocity Stack" Vault (Node 304 + Xeon D)

In the ranks of IT, long before I ever wore a CIO title, I learned a hard truth from managing RAID arrays: Three is the bare minimum. Redundancy isn’t a feature; it’s the baseline.

But then I left that life. I moved to the PNW (near Bellingham), went off-grid, and learned to hone the trades necessary to depend solely on myself. In the wild, you can’t carry “RAID 6” on your belt. You carry one tool that cannot break and you never lose.

Designing this data retention strategy has been an exercise in holding those two somewhat conflicting philosophies and engineering a solution that respects both.

My path has been non-linear. From high-stress tech leadership to survival in the Cascades, and now back to the Miami/Broward area as a medical device inventor. I spend my days now applying survivalist precision to hardware that improves lives. The workshop is where I reset; it’s where I practice my craft and maintaining my Zen while navigating a corporate world.

But while I was pouring everything into this new craft, my own digital history—decades of projects, and memories—was sitting on one HP Microserver that couldn’t push 10GB and I had only “one,” which meant I had “none.”

I decided to build a proper vault. Something that mirrored my philosophy: two old but serviceable tools, serviced and ready to carry my life’s work for another decade.

This build log covers “Tool #1”: The Primary On-Site Archive. Tool #2, the stealth off-site replication target, is currently on the bench—because three is right).


The Hardware: Old Iron, New Purpose

I chose the Supermicro X10SDV-TLN4F (Xeon D-1521). It’s a retired enterprise board, it’s efficient, and supports ECC memory. It’s the perfect engine for a “set and forget” TrueNAS appliance.

The chassis is the Fractal Node 304. It’s compact and subtle, but out of the box, the airflow engineering contradicts what a NAS server needs. So, I went into the shop to fix it.

The Modifications

I didn’t want to just hack this together. I wanted it engineered. I designed two specific parts to manage the thermal dynamics of this small box.

1. The “Velocity Stack” (CPU Cooling) The passive heatsink on the Xeon D is designed for high-pressure server chassis, not quiet home cases. If you just mount a fan directly to it, you create a dead spot right over the CPU die where the fan hub blocks airflow. I engineered a 60mm adapter with a 15mm plenum—a velocity stack. This spacer allows the air pressure to equalize before it hits the fins, forcing air through the entire heatsink stack.

2. The “Pressure Seal” (Chassis Airflow) The Node 304 has side vents designed for gaming GPUs. For a NAS, these are just leaks. They prevent the rear exhaust fan from pulling air across the hard drives. I designed a blanking plate to seal these vents, effectively turning the case into a wind tunnel. Now, the rear Noctua fan pulls 100% of its intake from the front, right over the drive cages where it’s needed.

The Summary

It’s done. It runs cool. It runs quiet.

This build is my way of finally taking care of myself—using crafts I’ve honed in the wild and in the lab to protect the work I’ve carried with me.

- thegrowingdude

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.