Build for Virtualization?

Update: Didn't want to make another thread for new questions so ill update this one.

Uses for Build:

All-In-One virtualization Server. Want ( Overkill) Just want room to play with as far as adding more vms and running a cpu intensive(ish) vm With VT-D Support

Questions / Concerns:

First Question : ( mobo/ both cpus / ram) Ill be buying used due to budget and well its cheap. My concern with this is.. Is it worth it? Is it worth buying used server hardware (pulls ect) and what are my odds of it exploding in a ball of fire in 6 months?...

Second question: How much will this cost me as a 24/7 (small home lab) (estimate) a year? My Kwh is 10cents.

Third Question: What kinda ram does the motherboard support, as in tri channel, quad ect?

Actual Build I'm Planning for:
Cpu: (x2) Xeon X5650 ( $150 for both xeons)
Motherboard: SUPERMICRO X8DTi-F DUAL SOCKET LGA1366 ($130)
Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/201165914957
Power Supply: Enhance-550W-24-8PIN-SLI-2x-Xeon-EPS12V-Server-Power-Supply-ENS-0555 ($30)
Or
EVGA 110-B2-0850-V1 850W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified ( $100)

Ill be purchasing this build in the coming days and just wanted to ask couple questions ahead of time to ease my mind.

you should focus more on ECC RAM then the CPU but since that xeon is pretty cheap go with that. I would say 32gb of Ram

Yea Ram is not really a issue, i plan to get enough for my needs. Just not sure the cpu(s) can handle what i want.

the xeon will work fine

With a pair of X5650's you'll have no issues running that many VM, those are beastly CPU.

Thats good to hear, that was my main concern. I just have to find a power supply that has 2 8 pin cpu power connectors now. thats fairly cheap i hope..

Updated thread with new questions (didnt want to make a new thread)

The system is triple channel based, so it would either 24GB or stepping up to 48GB to stay at optimal memory operation.

As for the server, its good however I will say from personal experience is that the board runs quite hot and with ECC ram as well can get very hot. You will need to pay close attention to cooling the board as well.
Along with cooling, the CPU sockets are custom and have built in backplates. You either need to buy supermicro heatsinks or like I did use CM TV3 (92mm fan) and mount them using m3 (I think, I will have to check) bolts.

A few months ago, I did have one of these boards go bad (VRM's took a shit) due to the quality of the board it did not take anything else with it. (Plus if its DOA, they have a warranty service)

As a note for the board booting, it takes a few minutes after first application to even power on or post due to the IPMI having to power up.

You sure your not able to use consumer cpu coolers. Looking in the newegg comments of the same mobo (although retail version, myn would be the bulk version) guy has used a Noctua NH-U12DX 1366 120mm SSO CPU for his build.
In theory i should be fine with a 2 coolers like this for the cpu instead of two twin jet engines right next to my ear. And a case with good fans. Right?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182182

The Nocuta's are designed to use a back plate, so the existing mounting hardware might just line up and use the same thead type as the built in back plate.

As for cooling the chipset, consider placing a fan right up against it. It has been the only reasonable solution in actually keeping it cool without high air flow fans.

Also for the case, you need to make sure it can support the SSI EEB motherboard standard. Its a bloody big board.

Wuuuuuuuut. I dont even know what ssi ceb standard is lol. I thought the mobo was e-atx as stated on spec site.

Take a look at the board, in-between the SATA connectors is a screw mount hole. That is typically where e-ATX ends. SSI EEB is wider again.
As for this board you may even need to create some custom stand off points. (Eg like the one on the bottom right of the board.

You think it'd fit in something like a corsair 750D?

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=122924

Although there is mixed replies, the official spec says no.

I'd hunt around for more info