Budget & Reliable 400W PSU?

Hello again.

I am on the market for a new PSU. I currently have a 300W PSU, which needs to be replaced in order to work efficiently with a new GPU I am going to purchase. I have searched around the web, but I am not very knowledgeable on the brands and specs that one must look for when searching for a good PSU. I have come to you guys once again in search for assistance on finding a reliable and budget PSU, with a 400W-480W rated wattage.

EDIT: My PC case is ATX styled.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
--xVxM4tthewxVx

How much are you looking to spend?

Preferably $30-$40.

I like the CX 430 from Corsair. Some people talk shit about them but I have used them extensively and never had a problem. They are 80+ Bronze certified and can be had in modular or non modular versions and can be had on sale for $20-40.

1 Like

Non Modular model? And what does it mean by Builders Series?

These are some pretty decent PSU's nothing special. Like @DerKrieger said, the cx 430 is a good choice if you can find it for cheap. I'm not usually a Corsair fan, but I have several of those and never had an issue.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Modular means some of the cables come off to save space. So like if you don't need a floppy or molex connector they come off. Non modular means they are fixed.
There is also a 500W one which is sometimes on sale for a similar price.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139049&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Builder Series is just the model.

@DerKrieger Is the EVGA mentioned by @Big_Al_Tech any good?

EVGA had a previous 400 odd watt PSU that had issues in the past. The one that I posted I have used and can say that it's been working for 2+ years so far.

1 Like

Alright, but do you know if it would be a good replacement for the current PSU that I am using? Will it have all the same connections? (I have no idea what each of the PSU Connections are called. Noob here...)

Here is a link to an website that should list the correct connections of my current PSU: http://www.pc-specs.com/psu/Liteon/Liteon_PS-5301-08HF/1187

It should and more, do you have a graphics card in your system? If so it has to only have a 6pin power connection anything more powerful the psu is not going to be compatible.

Yes, I have a GPU in my system. It uses PCI-E Power. I am ordering a new GPU to go with the PSU, and it too runs on the PCI-E power. I may upgrade to a more powerful GPU that will make use of the connector in the future.

I may get the EVGA PSU. I'll look more into it and see. Thank you for your suggestions! I greatly appreciate it! Be sure to let me know of anything else that would be helpful for someone in this situation. :)

Will do, happy building ;)

@Big_Al_Tech Quick Question. This PSU has a 4 + 4-Pin EPS12V connector. Well this work with the single ATX12V1 CPU slot on my motherboard?

It will work with either a 4 or 8pin cpu power connections.

1 Like

Alright. Guess this is the one!