Budget home office build for a friend

Cross-post: https://forum.level1techs.com/t/budget-home-office-build

Buddy asked me to help him build a home office pc… budget is ~600$

Quote: $642.48
Actual after taxes, shipping, ect.: $832.14

Performance/Stability tests: passmark, cinebench r20

Lessons learned:

• Never offer to build a pc for anyone who has a taco bell budget and lambo dreams
  • Big gap from quote to actual final cost
  • Cable management is easier on tv
  • At the end of the day, if you do build a pc for someone… you’re not going to make any money… do it to give back

Have a good one!

Parts List

Initial setup, everything works

All parts inside case

OS tweaks (tronscript), performance and stability testing

Cable management

Side by side view

Another shot

Ready for forever home

2 Likes

Same goes for budgeting projects :smiley:

You are a nice person, to help others in those time and not making profit!

1 Like

Thanks! I’m just glad it’s over lol

1 Like

I charge 250 for just building .On top of the build cost. I also avoid editing the Os with very specific and possible technically challenging to the consumer .

Oh man, so true!

You’re a good soul for helping a pal out.

1 Like

Nice job, looks like a good system overall. Only see two things to improve:

It sounds like your friend mostly needs a decent modern build that can run Office and Accountant software, but I could be wrong here. If you are on a tight budget I’d recommend a Ryzen 3 3200G APU (Same price, same amount of cores + graphics). By combining GPU and CPU into one, you reduce the number of mechanical failure points, and you save around $130 bucks.

With a 3200 CPU, I’d also look for a B450 or B550 motherboard. Perhaps something like the Aorus B450 AORUS ELITE, with an HDMI and DVI exit for two screens. Of course, you could also get an MSI A320M-A Pro MAX, though not sure I trust it to be anything other than cheap. If you want dual screens, the Aorus B450I Pro which I have has two HDMI exits that can drive two separate screens for sure.

In total you’d have saved around $100 bucks, and cleared an upgrade path to the 8c16t 4700G as well for the future - which would then also be performant enough for a 3080 Ti to be installed if you wanted to do that. How is that for an upgrade path? :smiley:

With all that said, don’t go out and buy these new parts I showed you just to change this build - not worth the hassle to change what is already built. You did a decent job! Be proud of that fact, and remember to do some better research next time around! Great work! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Appreciate the feedback!

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.